7/8" Hex brass return caps

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I think they have been just bench racing about making some. It seems like a huge investment of time to make something that MIGHT be an improvement over the qualities of the stock plastic caps.

If there were a true need for an improved design, we would have made real efforts already. I read the threads and think, why not just cast them (aluminm or brass) with the hose barbs already attached? Then the only machining would be to clean up the center hole to make sure it seals on the O-rings. But that is just me thinking as a moldmaker.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was going to cut up a set of R&D rails, and chuck em up on a lathe, and turn them into tittyed caps.
but the damnest thing happened, i installed them right, and they dont leak.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was going to cut up a set of R&D rails, and chuck em up on a lathe, and turn them into tittyed caps.
but the damnest thing happened, i installed them right, and they dont leak.

What did you do different to get them to seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zephyr

Reaction score
They are no longer on R&D's website last I looked. I was debating about trying a set.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without direct access to a lathe...i couldnt do this...my buddies lathe was 3ph and we couldnt get it out of semi trailer stowage to build em....

One day

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
a real machinist might scoff at you but i am sure you could make the caps on a drill press with the right size drill bits. i have successfully done other parts this way that sealed on an o-ring.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a real machinist might scoff at you but i am sure you could make the caps on a drill press with the right size drill bits. i have successfully done other parts this way that sealed on an o-ring.

The biggest variable here would be having minimal run-out on your machine. Mine I'm surprised the holes are round and not oval :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01