7/8" Hex brass return caps

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know all too well about those. Guy had his dad make em iirc or part doing solder dont recall....was about 3rd down list to buy a set....never happened.

Seems most who make caps end up making themselves a set n thats it.

Looking at a similar idea wjth hex and tubes...but drill fit and fitting tubes would be easier IMHO...maybe kit capable...:dunno

JM7.3CW

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
What about tapping the ports for NPT threads? As a kit, consumer could assemble themselves easily, with you doing the machining ;p Not sure if there would be enough material to tap them for threads to properly seat with adequate engagement. Just a thought. I would love to see metal (steel, aluminum or brass) return caps made available to the IDI community. I know I'd save up for a set :Thumbs Up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about tapping the ports for NPT threads? As a kit, consumer could assemble themselves easily, with you doing the machining ;p Not sure if there would be enough material to tap them for threads to properly seat with adequate engagement. Just a thought. I would love to see metal (steel, aluminum or brass) return caps made available to the IDI community. I know I'd save up for a set :Thumbs Up

Hex blanks would be hex blanks...how anyone chose to fit tubes would be their deal....

I wont thread as its just one more machining process. I would rather solder tubes in place.

Just saying....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have so far then...

Upper inner ID 0.614
Lower inner ID 0.633

And the top hole dia is 0.518

Is that correct @IDIoit ?????

I will compare to what I can measure here with digital vernier calipers.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contacted Millenium metals

1inch hex is $1.55 per inch for a comparative price as he had no 7/8" in stock.

I could order 12 feet and he would bring it in. :rotflmao

He has no brass tubing ...doh..but 5/16 solid stock runs $0.35 per inch...make 1/4" barbed fittings ...too much work cookoo

Be that as it may it might be Online purchase time...just a couple feet along with some tubing.

He suggested maybe some small engine shop for barbed hose fittings
;Sweet

Anyway thats todays update on this hell hole of an idea

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
From screwing with mine and leaks for a while I don't think brass caps would be inherently better at stopping leaks. I notice that caps can move around a lot (rocking) just with a light touch or light pressure from a line not positioned just right. I think a solid rail would work well at stabilizing each bank. Of course that takes a lot more precision, and I am somewhat doubtful of how precisely International drilled the injector holes. It wouldn't take more than a few thousands variance in location on each axis to make a solid rail a fairly custom endeavor for each head.

The other things I think contribute to leaks are o-ring quality, cap fit/finish and installation procedure which can contribute to damaging o-rings.

Still, it would be cool if this became a reality while not taking a ridiculous amount of time or money per cap.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
whenever I get around to making mine, I have some tapered springs that will be installed on top of mine to seat between the cap and injector line nut to keep it seated solidly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whenever I get around to making mine, I have some tapered springs that will be installed on top of mine to seat between the cap and injector line nut to keep it seated solidly

That is what the extra non viton orings are for, works great.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also. I would order some brass beaded hose repair couplers and cut them in half for nipples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online