7/8" Hex brass return caps

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been pondering this since seen first brass return caps made years ago and also since @ADV made his wicked cool 1 piece return caps.

I checked and a couple feet of 7/8" hex stock is not too expensive.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=19943&step=4&showunits=inches&id=81&top_cat=0

I figured why not attempt to make some brass caps without return lines. Then add the tubes after and being brass hex it would make drilling accurately simplified due to flats to drill into. Press return tubes in and solder and done.

So I am first looking into what stock locally would be. Then access to a lathe to either do the machining or have it done.

There are a few lathes in friends posession so maybe this could be doable.

It would be simplified more if a 3 or 4 flute mill of the correct size could be found then it would be super easy to bang out caps.

Time to start measuring up caps.

Hmm...do I want that step inside or not......

Hmmm. Will see what is available and report back. So far 3' x 7/8" hex brass stock and some 3/16" brass tubing is well under $100.00

Hmm....

Wonder if .....:dunno

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have thought about this as well and thought I could do it with a drill press even with some stops set up. I think it would be hard to get a clean enough surface finish that way though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some of you guys are having a lot more issues with return lines than i am........knock on wood.LOL

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
While I think this sounds like a nice idea and the handful someone made are sweet... How are the plastic caps inadequate? Do they get brittle and crack? I thought the problem with leaks/air intrusion was primarily old hard orings and not so much related to the caps themselves?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blessed I am with return caps that work well.

However with that said seeing as I am working towards resealing my good remammed 7.3 and doing some mods I would like a custom touch and brass hex return caps would be a sweet addition. Slightl6 champhered like nuts they would look really sharp and one would never have an issue with a cap failing hopefully.

Thats all...just a really nice sharp looking setup is all that does indeed perform well.

Nothing more nothing less.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Would indeed look cool, and reusable. I doubt the return system sees enough pressure to crack brass. Same with heat, being brass and all, but what about corrosion?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would indeed look cool, and reusable. I doubt the return system sees enough pressure to crack brass. Same with heat, being brass and all, but what about corrosion?

polish em up and coat em!

i would do this on a lathe, if i had one.
i would not attempt this on a drill press.
unless your drill press is a press/mill combo.

lathe is the tool of choice.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Man, if I had the "expendable" income..my father does have a milling machine in the blacksmith shop...

I've been itching to use to correctly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok let me get this right....corrosion...brass....fuel....did you really just ask that question...really?

Better check out that float in your fuel tank...then inspect the fitting into IP and return fitting from Ip oh ya the return fitting at filter head and the brass fitting at the back of engine where return lines connect to chassis return line....

Really did you really ask that question?

Just checking to make sure....:rotflmao

This is what I can access immediately to make caps
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Can hqve that in shop in week or two if need be...:D

Think that need became be!:sly

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok let me get this right....corrosion...brass....fuel....did you really just ask that question...really?

Better check out that float in your fuel tank...then inspect the fitting into IP and return fitting from Ip oh ya the return fitting at filter head and the brass fitting at the back of engine where return lines connect to chassis return line....

Really did you really ask that question?

Just checking to make sure....:rotflmao

the only stupid questions are the ones unasked.no ones going to make fun of you for asking questions here.im gunna tell Gary!:D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only stupid questions are the ones unasked.no ones going to make fun of you for asking questions here.im gunna tell Gary!:D

i make fun of this tin foild hat wearin freak all of the time.

Al, that press isnt bad, but you notice the .002 on the base?
thats .002 that these things seldom hold.
i have a few of these, and it will work great if you lock it down and dont move it.
start dialing and BAM
remember .002 on a diameter is actually .004

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i make fun of this tin foild hat wearin freak all of the time.

Al, that press isnt bad, but you notice the .002 on the base?
thats .002 that these things seldom hold.
i have a few of these, and it will work great if you lock it down and dont move it.
start dialing and BAM
remember .002 on a diameter is actually .004

Get 4 flute cutter rigjt size...bam..machine to depth...bam..next...n so on...or go to Guy's place @Bigredcrew and maybe we can do a few sets on his lathe

Options....fella has to have options.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the mill/ lathe chucked up TRUE its all good.
Question is whats the tollerance for the interference fit on the o - rings, and can it be held by the machine?!
Good start!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a measurement on the caps a couple of years ago. I wouldn't know how to search for it now. But there is a step at the top, that's what makes them snap on the last ~1/4" pushing them on.