7.3L crankshaft ready for zf5?

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
I have a question about the 7.3 crankshaft. Is it all ready set up to receive a pilot bearing/bushing if the truck came with an auto?

I am going to look at a 92 f350 with 7.3 and zf5 and looking to put zf5 in my 93 f350 7.3 with an E4OD thats done for. Is this process going to work with buying the donor truck or am I just wasting my time and money?

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just swaped my E40D for a ZF5. The crank was ready. I went with a kit from Napa with SMF. I bought trans and T/C together. You need the crossmember and driveshaft also as the T/C is moved forward 6 inches.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IH in their infinite wisdom designed the motors to adapt to many platforms outside of the Ford chassis. the pilot bearing does not get seated in the crank as most gassers do, but rather in the flywheel. There is a indexing ring on the back of the crank for the flywheel to center on but it's not deep enough to contact the pilot bushing.
On a sidenote, if you have the time to order a Kevlar pilot bushing, do so. You will be able to extend the service life of your clutch for at least twice as long. Between the friction material dust and the vibration from the motor, the needle bearings are powdered about a year or so. The Kevlar material lasts longer and has no moving parts to get ground into dust.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a sidenote, if you have the time to order a Kevlar pilot bushing, do so. You will be able to extend the service life of your clutch for at least twice as long. Between the friction material dust and the vibration from the motor, the needle bearings are powdered about a year or so. The Kevlar material lasts longer and has no moving parts to get ground into dust.
To illustrate his point...a picture of the pilot bearing that was in my T-19 flywheel. The second picture is of a new pilot bearing (came with the ZF clutch kit) and the Kevlar pilot bushing that I used instead.

Kevlar is our friend :D

Attachments

• Pilot bearing.jpg
    Pilot bearing.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Pilot bearing 02.jpg
    Pilot bearing 02.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 13

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
Good!! This info helps alot. Im felling much more confident about this swap. But if the clutch and or flywheel is completly shot on the donor truck what would any of you do to replace it? SMF/DMF? What size clutch 11 inch or 12 inch? What is the best way to go in all of yours wisdom?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You may ot may not have the "spacer" on the auto flexplate. My truck has the big heavy 3 piece flywheel-flexplate Ford thought was a good idea for more dynamic spinning torque. My new BTS trans torque converter wont fit my flex plate combanation so I need a spacer fabricated for the new flexplate. Brian is having one made for me. The stock torque converters have a very small friction area as compared to my new converter. The stock is 25 square inches for clutch material and the new one in my trans is a triple disc with 150 square inches of friction material. Ford no longer sells the spacer so don't just throw it in the shop and forget about it. If you want to sell it I'm a buyer. I like "spare parts". The more I have the better I feel about the future. Gees.... It doesn't take much to make me feel good does it...:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gary-
what is it costing you to have one made? I'd like to get one too just in case I do put in a later convertor in one of my towtrucks.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
To illustrate his point...a picture of the pilot bearing that was in my T-19 flywheel. The second picture is of a new pilot bearing (came with the ZF clutch kit) and the Kevlar pilot bushing that I used instead. Kevlar is our friend :D
Warden, to make sure, in 2nd pic, the GREY POUPON DIJON MUSTARD looking thing, looks like it's coated with yellowish puffy-toadstool dust, is the Kevlar bushing?
If so, well I got took again! Last year when I was doing my clutch/flywheel R&R, went to NAPA & told 'em I wanted Kevlar....I got something looking more like on rt.
I think I messed up when I said something about "unless it's bulletproof jogging shorts, I wouldn't know Kevlar if I saw it..."
siggghhhh.....it's hell being dumb!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a stock spacer I dont need .Whats the going rate???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About twofiddy Russ....:D I really don't know just yet. I will post it when I know more from BTS. I'm hoping on hope that I'll have my trans by next Wednesday because of the Monday holiday..... I hate waiting....-cuss

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: what's the going rate for the SMF kit from NAPA? Sounds like several people are using them, was wondering who the manufacturer is and if everybody's been happy with the quality.

R. J.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Warden, to make sure, in 2nd pic, the GREY POUPON DIJON MUSTARD looking thing, looks like it's coated with yellowish puffy-toadstool dust, is the Kevlar bushing?
If so, well I got took again! Last year when I was doing my clutch/flywheel R&R, went to NAPA & told 'em I wanted Kevlar....I got something looking more like on rt.
I think I messed up when I said something about "unless it's bulletproof jogging shorts, I wouldn't know Kevlar if I saw it..."
siggghhhh.....it's hell being dumb!!!

If you got one that looks like the one on the right, you got robbed -cuss The kevlar pilot bushing would be the ugly yellow plastic looking one piece bushing.
They really work smooth, and no worries about the rollers giving out.

----------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just looked and NAPA doesn't even have a kevlar bushing in their catalog.

----------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked and NAPA doesn't even have a kevlar bushing in their catalog.

----------Robert
south bend clutch is the seller of the item. Don't know where they're sourcing it from.
Russ-
wanna give me an idea what you want for it? Don't be too rough tho. To be honest, it's going to get copied by a CNC as soon as I get it.