7.3 to 6.9 long block swap...what does NOT interchange?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
On the glow plug controller, the drilled and tapped holes is what I'm talking about. I have an 87 6.9 and it has the solid state controller factory, but the earlier ones do not have the holes for it to mount behind the intake, not a big issue, but one to be noted.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just stating that the glow plug controller from my 89 7.3 bolted on in the stock location on my 86 6.9 block. I didnt have to drill out or tap anything, it went on just fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, if I were putting a 7.3 glow plug controller on a 6.9, I would not locate it in the factory position anyway. It's much better off on the bracket that Hypermax sells, which moves the controller to the drivers side valve cover area. This is so any turbo project will not interfere, and the controller can be relocated there with no changes to the wiring.

If your moving a 7.3 pump and lines to a 6.9, technically the lines are too short, but they will fit just the same with no operational difficulties. Just be sure to move the timing adapter along with the lines. If you have the option, switch all your lines over to the 6.9 style and ditch the adapter when bolting up to a 6.9.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My controller is on the fenderwell, no vibration to kill it. or heat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be another good solution. Just need to be carefull not to add too much resistance to the circuit with longer wire runs or what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online