7.3 swap.

Brody

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am pulling a 7.3 IDI out of a parts truck tomorrow. The truck is off to the scrapyard the next day. I'm swapping this motor into a 1994 bronco. I'm going to grab as much wiring as I can including the cluster engine wiring, vacuum log, battery trays, rad support. I'm also grabbing the engine towers/frame mounts.

Is there anything else I need to grab ?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine stands/mounts if you have a blue tip wrench. Save fabbing some. + any x-members for tranny, etc

Brody

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I've got pretty much all of it. Just need to see if I can't grab the dash wiring and the pedal assembly when I ship it out tomorrow.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need one ignition hot wire to make it run. I would not worry about all the wiring. You can wire the glowplugs yourself with a manual switch, the controller should be on the back of the engine.

The 1994 gas fuel system will work if you get rid of the electric fuel pump in the 94 tank.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
8 lug axles and any driveshafts. Rear leaf springs and swaybar too.

Brody

Reaction score
Not doing an axle swap. It's a N/A idi. Planning to run the in tank pump with a 5 psi regulator and i want the glow plugs to cycle normally with the key. Keeping the truck is not an option.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lightweight 1/2 ton bronco with a n/a IDI is an awesome project. I like 8 lug axles on a truck but outside of the added weight of the engine on the front axle, it’s not like you are going to load it up with payload as it’s a bronco. If you keep the tire size reasonable I bet it will get very respectable mileage too.

Cool project, post some pics when you get a chance.

Brody

Reaction score
I may have to get heavier springs but I'm not too worried about it. The truck is lifted 6 inches, 410 gears and nice rims and tires. I'm not hauling with it so don't need heavy duty axles. I'm hoping it gets 15+ mpgs compared to the 9 it gets now. Also up here where I live (Canada) diesel is 80 cents a gallon cheaper so that will help too
You must be registered for see images attach

gjabrown

garry
Reaction score
Brody, Where are you on the Island. I'm recovering a 7.3 idit from a rolled truck and am thinking that it would go well in a Bronco, so would like to monitor your experience with the installation. I'm in Comox.
Garry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online