7.3 swap.

Brody

Reaction score
I
Brody, Where are you on the Island. I'm recovering a 7.3 idit from a rolled truck and am thinking that it would go well in a Bronco, so would like to monitor your experience with the installation. I'm in Comox.
Garry
I just sent the motor off to PA where I will probably be getting after it in April. I can't imagine it being too bad getting it running. Once I get some time it's off with the heads and a couple rod bearings to see if I'm going ahead with it. Will probably be back on the road by the end of summer I imagine. Maybe I'll stop by once it's done

Brody

Reaction score
Bad news everyone. I got the heads off the motor and found bad water damage. But more importantly, every single one of the cylinders has a ridge and the cross hatching is only visibile on one cylinder so I am pulling the plug on this project. Will probably take the cash I get from the parts and buy a quarter horse/get the 351 running perfect and just see what that does for fuel mileage.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brody

Reaction score
It's back on! After a traumatic and unexplained electrical illness in my bronco I decided to do a diesel swap again. Found a motor the next day after making the decision and stabbed it in last weekend. I've basically done nothing to this motor except valve cover gaskets and injector service kit. I've wired up my in tank gas pump to run when the key is on. It routes to a fuel regulator on the fuel bowl then back to the tank. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get the engine harness all sorted but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'm waiting on oil cooler gaskets, clutch master, slave, hydraulic hose and a positive battery cable to get it finished. My diesel rad support is total trash but lowering standards until we get to the finish line is how I've been making progress so far lol

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the regulator return and the original diesel fuel return will be the same return? Or two separate returns? You will need to keep the diesel return system in some form or fashion. If you tied the regulator return into the diesel return system, I wonder if it would interfere if you had a lot of return from the electric pump?

Brody

Reaction score
As far as returns, I tapped into the original for the regulator and the injector return is running off the old evap lines. I'm going to drill a 1/8th hole in the fuel cap once I get the diesel filler neck installed.

As far as what I did to get it in there. It all bolted in except for drilling two holes on the driver's side frame mount. The transmission appears to sit a full inch further forward so I had to modify my transmission crossmember and it appears that my front driveshaft needs to be shortened. My driveshafts were borderline before the swap and are really questionable now. Couldn't install the front one at all

Brody

Reaction score
Got my diesel rad support patched up and painted today. Tomorrow I'm hoping to install it and get my engine accessories a little better sorted out at least. My rear driveshaft is too short but I should theoretically be able to drive this truck next week.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's another question. What are you going to do about the front springs? Are you planning to run heavier ones?

Brody

Reaction score
I'm probably going to put spacers in it to get my ride height back up. In others news I need a radiator. I did get it moving for the first time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I haven't read an entire thread on an IDI swap into a half ton before. I've gotten two important sets of info here. 1: I did it the hard way on my Bronco by swapping in the axles, suspension, and crossmember from a 3/4 ton truck. 2: I now have extremely high expectations for the future IDI swap into my Red Truck that I have in mind.

Brody

Reaction score
From what I've seen not many people put 7.3s into lifted half tons. I don't know how it will hold up but I'll find out. Most of my lift brackets are welded to the frame already so I don't think they'll be a problem but they might be

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea for the split returns, I forgot about the evap system on gas trucks but since the infrastructure is there that’s probably going to work just fine. I am curious how long the in tank pump will last pumping diesel instead of gas but who knows maybe it’ll be the solution to all of our headaches with aftermarket electric fuel pump reliability.

gjabrown

garry
Reaction score
Glad to see that you have the drivetrain in and running (less a radiator). Did you use the gasser engine bay wiring harness? Look forward to seeing the finished item.

Brody

Reaction score
Sell me a rad! @gjabrown
I am using the gas engine harness currently. I too am concerned about the reliability of my fuel pump but the pluses are that it was only a year old and already in the truck. I did have to make relief cuts in the return line to allow it to return properly but other than that it's a stock pump

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online