7.3 injector lines getting old

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second time the #4 injector line has gone in a year. Used up all my spares. Right behind the fitting on the pump wnd. I trued soldering it, but didnt make it through the test drive. Cheapest lines I found are 240 $ for a set, 60 for a single. Im considering using one from a cyl 2, spare i have, does length change the timing? Doesnt make sence that it would as its hydrualic, Pulseing, kind of. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210907_134358.jpg
    20210907_134358.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 12

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the vibration dampener clamps on the lines. Those missing are the only time I have ever seen a line fail like that.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, all 8 lines need to have the clamps on them… otherwise this is the result. I would find/buy a set and then replace that one line, with the correct line, one last time….

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think ill make sure of that. At times im just a bit to rough around the edges.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up Bending a #2 cyl line off some spare parts for temporary use, until i can get some new ones and clamps. works grepartsbut hers the thing, im pretty sure there could besomeimprovements on this, like steel braided lines, with fittings on the ends. Wih the right diameter inside to match. Anyone else ever tried this?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have never seen lines fail that had clamps on them, or were messed up working on them.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the vibration dampener clamps on the lines. Those missing are the only time I have ever seen a line fail like that.
This is important. My #1 cylinder line cracked right at the "button", I had got lazy and not re-installed the clamps. Got a replacement line from a wrecking yard and re-installed the missing clamps and haven't had a problem in 10 years.

You also asked about lenght... I recall reading in some documentation (Ford service manual??) somewhere that the length of the lines does matter for proper timiing, it went on to say all 8 lines are actually the same length, they use bends to make them all fit.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up Bending a #2 cyl line off some spare parts for temporary use, until i can get some new ones and clamps. works grepartsbut hers the thing, im pretty sure there could besomeimprovements on this, like steel braided lines, with fittings on the ends. Wih the right diameter inside to match. Anyone else ever tried this?
Problem with steel braided lines is the lines are actually rubber or some sort of high pressure plastic hose. With the pressure the injection system runs at the lines will slightly expand with each pulse (likely won't be able to see it), so you likely will end up delivering less fuel at a lower pressure to the cylinder as the pressure in the line will build slower and drop sooner, meaning the popit valve in the injector won't stay open as long.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput, brackets i have, I'll go through my stuff and pick some out withgodd rubber bumpers, seems like a silly post but, you just never knw what things can pop up. so far its been running smoothly,