7.3 IDIT Bearings and rings

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
Alright, so I have stripped my engine down to bare block. Found out that pistons are bored .030 over. Rod bearings in great shape, main bearings in decent shape and cam bearings are in horrible shape. Anyways I’m in this far I’m planning on replacing bearings and rings, however those seem to be hard to find. The only site I found that actually has them would be this one. https://proenginerebuilders.com/1993-ford-f-250-7-3l-engine-camshaft-bearing-set-cc483-55/ They seem to have all bearings and rings, however I do not know anything about this website and the fact that they have everything in stock ready to ship within a few days is weird considering every idi parts dealer, Russ, R and D, ETC, all don’t have the parts. If anyone knows that this website is a legit site or of another place to get these parts I’d like to hear. Also added a picture of the camshaft bearings. Thanks.

Attachments

• 66528CD5-5C6E-4F8A-A97C-B7A76230DA3F.jpeg
    66528CD5-5C6E-4F8A-A97C-B7A76230DA3F.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 26

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Your camera isn't focused on the bearing, it's focused on the casting right above it, so it's all blurry.

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
Ya. Sorry it was mainly the fact that they are worn down all the way to the copper look I was told this is bad. They are actually pretty smooth which makes me wonder if they are just made that color/material.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some cam bearings are that color, like these:
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah you can't go by color, some come brass, some come tin in color and show brass as they wear. It all depends on what they were made of. Surface wear and out of roundness would be a concern for me, but from what I gather is the cam bushings don't go bad that often. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can't go by color, some come brass, some come tin in color and show brass as they wear. It all depends on what they were made of. Surface wear and out of roundness would be a concern for me, but from what I gather is the cam bushings don't go bad that often. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You’re correct, they have the lightest load out of the other bearings

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Only time I replace in block cam bushings is when warranty says to because the cam is getting replaced. Otherwise they look just fine. Replaced plenty of overhead bushings though due to cold starts.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if the cam bearings went out before the rod or mains. The only cam bearing failures I have ever seen were due to trash getting into the system, normally from a rod or main failure.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My opinion is that, since your engine is completely torn down, if you're going to replace the main and rod bearings, go ahead and replace the cam bearings too. It's just cheap insurance. That way you know what shaped they're in.
On the rings, if you have the Factory Turbo pistons, they take a different style of ring than the N/A pistons do. Make sure what type of piston you have before you order new rings. If you have a N/A 7.3 with a turbo on it, then you probably have N/A pistons, but you can't tell what someone put on the inside without looking.

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
I have turbo pistons and rods. I’m planning on replacing all bearings and rings I just don’t know where to get them as they seem very rare I found a reputable site that makes rings at a fair price but I have no Idea about bearings except the weird website I put above

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, the bearings are all the same. The blocks are the same except for the port that goes to the N/A oil pressure sender. It's 1/4" NPY on your block while it's 1/8" NPT on a N/A block. I really don't see why the bearings would be any different. The rings are another story. They are more difficult to find.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After some quick research, Rock Auto lists some Hastings brand rings for the Turbo engine. They have standard, +.020, +.030, and +.040. They show some Mahle/Clevelite rings, but they aren't available in +.030. They show Enginetech brand, but it says that the top ring isn't a keystone style and they also aren't known for having the best quality so I'd stay away from those. If you go looking, DO NOT use a 1994 model year. They may confuse the IDI and PSD. Instead, use a 1993 model year. Look under the "engine" category in the "piston rings" subcategory.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just was looking for rings. Bearings should be fairly widely available. I just did a quick check at another place that I've bought parts from in the past. Northern Auto Parts has cam, rod, and main bearings listed as in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online