7.3 idi rebuild questions

corliss010492

Reaction score
im rebuilding a 7.3 idi non turbo and i was wondering where you can get a complete rebuild kit with all the gasket, or what options there are for kits?
i also want to know if there something that should be done to improve the bottom end of the motor when installing a turbo? any advice or info would be great

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bottom end.. no not really.... You could switch to the turbo rods and pistons. Not necessary but it is an option. Hopefully Gary (icanfixall) will chime in on this......

Top end, most would recommend Head Studs, not the head bolts. Most that i have seen on here for gaskets is Victor Reinz or FelPro. Some have said the VR seem to be a better quality. Also, do not use the included pan gasket.. the factor did not use one, IH used an RTV Type sealer, again hopefully, Gary will be along shortly......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm here and agree with whats posted above. Quality parts are what you want. The bottom ends are built way tuffer than they need to be. Not much anyone can do to increase the life of the crank. They are forged material and very strong. The pan gasket is truely a mess if you use one. As posted, just use a quality rtv. It will not leak if the surfaces are completey cleaned of oils. I use brake clean. It wont leave a film. Never had a leak yet. Studs with or without a turbo are an insurance policy. I ran severl hundered thousand miles in the stock head bolts and a Banks wastegated turbo boosting 13 lbs. Never a failure but I like what the studs afford me. Piece of mind nothing I hand the engine will blow a gasket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online