7.3 IDI Rebuild Cost

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
What would be a fair price for having a 7.3 IDI rebuilt ? Is it cheaper to rebuild or do a motor swap ? Anyone around the Albuquerque, New Mexico area that has experience with this and wants to make some $$$. I would be willing to help, just don't have all the equipment to do it myself.

Thanks, Keith

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM Reklund, or Tlbrewer, they are both in your state at least. Reklund is a master Toyota mech and has done quite a bit of work on his 7.3 IDI.

DragRag

Reaction score
Just buy a motor from another truck, much cheaper for sure. Swap it in and you are done. It is a small gamble, but worth it IMO.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Can't figure out where all the oil is going. Changed the CDR with a brand new one, no leaks, no oil mixing with other fluids, no signs of oil in the exhaust. Doesn't make any sense too me where it could be going. Truck has some blow by at idle (if cdr hose is covered, will leave some traces of oil on a rag when I hold it over the end of the hose) but blowby goes away completely atleast no traces of oil on rag or hand while holding it over cdr hose at about 1200 RPM or higher. Truck will use about 3/4 - 1 quart every 100 miles. :mad: The truck runs great, has plently of power, idles great and no abnormal knocking or other noises. Starts up within the first 3 seconds of cranking whether it's sat for 3 days or driven 100 miles and hot. Truck never runs hot, always stays at the low end of " C " range. I just bought the truck and don't know the complete history but it supposedly has 145K original miles. Unless I have a Turbo seal out and the oil is being burnt through the exhaust (which I hope that's all it is, far cheaper then rebuild or new motor) I am at a loss. :dunno I don't see any leakage around the turbo, so I kinda doubt that is the problem. I'm thinking rings or valves ( $$$$$ :eek:) so that's why I'm thinking rebuild.

If anyone has any other idea's I am more then open for suggestions. I know it's a diesel and it will burn some oil but not almost a quart every 100 miles.

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the oil is being sucked through the fuel pump? I have heard that the diaphram in fuel pump can suck oil from engine. I do not know personally but it could happen.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definately look at the turbo, the last few Ihave rebuilt have had oil seal ring wear and coking from excessive oil passage.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Type4. That sounds like a turbo eating oil for sure. That engine is too young for that kind of consumption

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
you could always do a leak down test if you want to check the internals sealing.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input...... I'm running Chevron Delo 15-40. I'm going to do a compression/leak down check this week and I hope to find something other then internal engine problems. I can't understand why I wouldn't find some traces of oil in the exhaust pipe. Seems like that kind of oil consumption would result in an oily tail pipe but all I see in there is the normal black powdery soot. Does the exhaust get so hot that it would burn that much oil with no traces in the exhaust system ?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input...... I'm running Chevron Delo 15-40. I'm going to do a compression/leak down check this week and I hope to find something other then internal engine problems. I can't understand why I wouldn't find some traces of oil in the exhaust pipe. Seems like that kind of oil consumption would result in an oily tail pipe but all I see in there is the normal black powdery soot. Does the exhaust get so hot that it would burn that much oil with no traces in the exhaust system ?

That tells you the compression is good and it is burning the stuff that is finding it's way into the combustion chamber so it's not bum rings so a full rebuild should not be needed. Just have to find where the oil is getting in. Most likely at the turbo. If the engine was a lot higher mileage I'd suspect guides, but at that low a mileage, I'd have to go with the turbo on that one.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I really hope your right RLDSL. I hate the thought of an engine rebuild with this low mileage. Do you think after what I have described, it could be valve guides/seals or is it more likely with that kind of oil use, it's just burning through the turbo ??

One other question a little off the subject. I'm going to replace the injectors and wondering if the IP should be changed at the same time or does it really matter ?

Thanks

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my truck has 99,000 origanal miles on it and it burns about 1 quart of oil every 150-200 miles and i have no idea why:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Only other thing I can think of that would make a young engine eat oil like that would be if the thing had sat up for a while and the rings are stuck. When the rings stop flexing. they loose their seal and the engine will inhale oil like it is going out of style. In that case, best thing is a couple of treatments of Auto RX . I've brought a few old diesels back from near death with that stuff