7.3 IDI Rebuild Cost

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
my truck has 99,000 origanal miles on it and it burns about 1 quart of oil every 150-200 miles and i have no idea why:dunno

Like my truck that is way too much oil to burn, there is definelty a problem somewhere. These trucks will burn some oil but that's excessive and that's my problem. :mad:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say 1 quart every 500-1000 miles is normal, anymore than that is somewhat excessive. How would you be able to check a turbo's seals without tearing it apart or could you?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine is non turbo, and if the rings were stuck wouldnt the engine be very hard starting? cause of low compression? yes mine did set a while, but the thing runs great and starts great, even when its 30 degrees i can start the truck without glow plugs and it will crank within 7 seconds, if i use the glow plugs at 20 degrees or higher it always starts within the third ful turn of the engine

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say 1 quart every 500-1000 miles is normal, anymore than that is somewhat excessive. How would you be able to check a turbo's seals without tearing it apart or could you?

I'm not sure you could check it without tearing it down. Maybe looking to see if there's a excessive amount of oil in the turbo outlet pipe ? :dunno I think before I go to that extent, I'm going to do a wet/dry compression test to find out what the internals are like. That is probably the easiest check to perform before I start tearing things apart. The Turbo will be much cheaper and easier to deal with, then engine internals.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
mine is non turbo, and if the rings were stuck wouldnt the engine be very hard starting? cause of low compression? yes mine did set a while, but the thing runs great and starts great, even when its 30 degrees i can start the truck without glow plugs and it will crank within 7 seconds, if i use the glow plugs at 20 degrees or higher it always starts within the third ful turn of the engine

Mine runs great and starts everytime whether it sat for 3-4 days or run a long time and is hot. It idles fine and sounds normal but oil is going somewhere. Do you get much smoke out of your truck and have you checked to see how much blow-by your getting ?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Mine runs great and starts everytime whether it sat for 3-4 days or run a long time and is hot. It idles fine and sounds normal but oil is going somewhere. Do you get much smoke out of your truck and have you checked to see how much blow-by your getting ?

the only smoke i see is black smoke which i have plenty of, ever since i bought it it has always smoked black under hard throttle, and i turned it up some and it smokes even more now, and as far as blow by im not sure whats considered normal but mine does have blow by

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Doesn't have to, because if the rings are only sticking in one or two holes the lowerd compression in those holes won't effect the overall strarting of the engine. If you still have 6 good holes the thing is going to fire like a brand new engine but those two with the stuck rings are going to bleed oil like it's going out of style.

When I first got my truck, with over 250k well abused miles on it, it had a multitude of problems, but compression was WAY down on two holes and was eating oil like crazy, about 130 psi lower if I remember, I'll have to look it up, It was worse than that I think( heck it might have been 130 psi), ran a couple treatments of the auto rx and brought them up with the rest around 400. I still wound up yanking the heads on that engine for a few bum guides and springs, but that truck had been used for commercial towing of a ramp bed for a car lot and had been severely abused and neglected.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Doesn't have to, because if the rings are only sticking in one or two holes the lowerd compression in those holes won't effect the overall strarting of the engine. If you still have 6 good holes the thing is going to fire like a brand new engine but those two with the stuck rings are going to bleed oil like it's going out of style.

When I first got my truck, with over 250k well abused miles on it, it had a multitude of problems, but compression was WAY down on two holes and was eating oil like crazy, about 130 psi lower if I remember, I'll have to look it up, It was worse than that I think( heck it might have been 130 psi), ran a couple treatments of the auto rx and brought them up with the rest around 400. I still wound up yanking the heads on that engine for a few bum guides and springs, but that truck had been used for commercial towing of a ramp bed for a car lot and had been severely abused and neglected.

were can i find this stuff? and how do you use it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
were can i find this stuff? and how do you use it?

www.auto-rx.com Read the instructions for diesels CAREFULLY. It usually takes two full treatments to get an old nasty diesel cleaned all the way out sometimes three for an old one, but these trucks we're speaking of are not that old here so two should do the trick to get rid of any soot and varnish causing any problems.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I really hope your right RLDSL. I hate the thought of an engine rebuild with this low mileage. Do you think after what I have described, it could be valve guides/seals or is it more likely with that kind of oil use, it's just burning through the turbo ??

One other question a little off the subject. I'm going to replace the injectors and wondering if the IP should be changed at the same time or does it really matter ?

Thanks

I really don't see the guides going on one that young if the mileage is correct, but a turbo, yes. Remember, this isn't a consumer grade car engine, this is an industrial grade mid range diesel. This sucker isn't designed to fold at 125-150k like a early 70's gas burner
If the injectors and pump are original equipment, they are sure getting due for replacement. They are service items.Might as well replace the whole shootin' match and be done with it so you aren't chasing problems later.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Is it possible that a Turbo could burn 3/4 of a quart of oil every 100 miles, yet show no signs of oil in the exhaust pipe? Is there some way of checking to see if the seals are out in the turbo without tearing it apart ? Lastly, when I take the turbo off, will it be apparent that the seals are worn out, like oil everywhere inside and pouring out of it ? I've never had a turbo apart so not exactly sure what to expect.

Thanks for all the help and info from everyone.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
a diesel will burn oil as fuel so the engine usaually wont act different unless it burns a hole lot then it could run away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online