7.3 IDI HP mod's.....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Like Russ said, they are all the same size. It fits like a glove.

Here is an EXTREMELY large picture

They should be plentiful and cheap. I am sure they probably came on other models too, but I know they came on '89-'93 Cadillac Devill's. 4.9 TBI engines.

Thank You, I will look at the local jyard some time soon maybe I can use it for My project. I need it pointing on the other direction (pass side) are all models like this one?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Filled my 91 up today for the first time, $109CDN at $1.02/L for diesel....Now to see what kind of fuel mileage I get. I set my idle to 650, did a full service and adjusted my tire pressures to 55psi all around.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had 70 in the front but it was too rough. The door tag says 50psi front and 80psi rear with E's??? I had 1-1/2 tons of gravel on it the other day with 55psi all around....Handled like dream. I used to haul that with my 1/2 ton with C's at 35psi.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
A common N/A mod for better air is the "Ghost Tube" which is one of these. You just have to drill the hole for our larger bolt, and put a bigger air cleaner on it when the first one gets dirty too fast.

Okay, so I bit on an ebay unit, 3.5" tube and filter. Thing is when I went out to give it a test fit yesterday it sits about an 1"-1.5" too low (too low for the bolt to hold it down and too low for the pipe to clear the injector line). Any ideas on easily remedying this?

Also has a 1/2"-3/4" nipple on the hat so I've got to plug that for use now and when it does it's duty as my turbo hat. I was thinking I could do a breather for now, but I need something better for the turbo (don't want to push air out the filter when the turbo comes on).

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Tech,

No one answered your question about cool air kits. Check with Hypermax. I have their cool air intake for E series and they also make one for F series.

Jim

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the 1460-E K/N filter for my 91, once it arrives I'll make a new air intake pipe to fit the stock breather....Something that will get more fresh air into the IDI. My air cleaner doesn't have the fish bowl or baffle plate in it.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Okay, so I bit on an ebay unit, 3.5" tube and filter. Thing is when I went out to give it a test fit yesterday it sits about an 1"-1.5" too low (too low for the bolt to hold it down and too low for the pipe to clear the injector line). Any ideas on easily remedying this?

Also has a 1/2"-3/4" nipple on the hat so I've got to plug that for use now and when it does it's duty as my turbo hat. I was thinking I could do a breather for now, but I need something better for the turbo (don't want to push air out the filter when the turbo comes on).

Any ideas?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you should be able to pick up a spacer that is used to lift a air filter on a carb. i used to have one and remember seeing them at some big box parts stores but that was a while ago.

edit found a link
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_10304_-1

couldent you use a large vacume plug and clamp for the port unless you wanted to solder it closed......

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the money spent on a cold air intake, and K&N filters... my vote would be to get a timing meter!

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
you should be able to pick up a spacer that is used to lift a air filter on a carb. i used to have one and remember seeing them at some big box parts stores but that was a while ago.

edit found a link
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_10304_-1

couldent you use a large vacume plug and clamp for the port unless you wanted to solder it closed......

Thanks, I have no experience with carbs so that would've been something I never would've thought of. I'll stop by Jegs here and see if they've got one in stock.

I'll also check the local parts store to see if they've got a vacuum plug large enough.

Thanks again.