7.3 IDI HP mod's.....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I know it's not a Powerstroke but are there are simple mods for more HP with the IDI???...I'm not complaining about the power it has but I can always use more...LOL;Sweet ....I'm already quite surprised at how well it pulls along, the torque is huge compared to my old 5.0 F150.:backoff

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
theres some you can do but a turbo is the real deal. exhaust and air intake mods are a good start if you dont want to throw down the $2000.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
So a cold air intake would help? My truck has a fairly new exhaust on it. Probably 2-1/4"...What size would it be worth upgrading too? I have two complete Powerstroke exhausts here too.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely put the PSD exhaust on it if you have the skills to do so. If you're lucky you can get a used turbo for $1000 or less. Getting the little parts might wipe out some/all of your savings but that's a call you have to make. Also, if your air intake still has that little restriction known as a "soup bowl" it can be cut out and that would be a good idea. You could look into propane or water/**** injection.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother to turbocharge the IDI, I have everything to put the 97 Powerstroke in it, and I mean everything right down to the wiring harness and fuel pedal. A 3.5" exhaust on an N/A diesel, hardly seems like it would be worth the effort. Is the IDI really that choked up? Explain this "soup bowl" thing....?

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look under your air filter lid and you will find the soup bowl. When you see it you will understand. PS a stock powerstroke is and equal to a turbo IDI so save yourself the trouble and just turbo the IDI. Besides IDIs sound cooler.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
the answer to the is it being choked up is yes big time. a turbo idi with a good air intake and exhaust will put a power stroke in the rear view. and we dont have any computers to deal with either:D

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the bumper sticken says "Chips Are For Dipping"

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
What aftermarket intake is the best bang for the buck for my IDI? As for the exhaust, I have the stock exhaust from a PSD E350 and PSD F350 crewcab. When I get my 4x4 swap done I'll look at adapting it to the Y-pipe. Getting a reducer from 3.5" down to the stock pipe could be hard, most reducers don't go in 1/2" sizes.

So what would I be looking for to turbo the IDI? What years did Ford offer the mechanical IDI with a turbo setup? I do love the IDI sound, so far it's be much better on fuel than my 5.0 was and diesel is $0.12/L cheaper than reg gas right now too. I could sell the powerstroke to buy a turbo setup, I just thought it would be nice to have a spare 7.3 around for a backup.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
If you have the time and ability to swap in a psd, do it. a propertly turbo'd idi will perform with or better than a stock psd, but a lightly modded psd will outperform the idi.

Now, if you want to play with the idi. There's options, but there are mechanical limitations which must be overcome by going through the engines internals.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or...if you are good enough with fabrication, you could steal the turbo off the PSD. Not a bolt on mod, but it can and has been done by flatlander for his dual turbo setup and one other guy on the other forum name of "woodie" You basically have to find a way to mount it since they mount differently on the strokers, and feed it oil. Limiting the boost may be a worry but not really so much since it seems on an IDI they don't make nearly the 20-30PSI they are capable of on their intended engine. You have to limit it to around 10-12 PSI. Ford offered a turbo IDI from 92.5- early 94. They are the 'C" and "K" VIN code engines.