7.3 idi / C6. To 7.3 PS / 4R100 swap

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have loose E4OD gas and diesel and a 4R100. I will build an album. What should be shown and where should it be posted?

For now here are three pics. That is a gas 460 shim on a diesel E4OD. The two engines are just that much different.

I have running diesel E4OD and 4R100. Both use the thick spacer/starter mount.

I have diesel E4ODs and a C6 that I don't need and I do need gas E4ODs. I would settle for a gas case.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
david85. I’m just seeing your reply to my thread. I’ve been really busy and haven’t been on here, but are you saying the 4r100 will bolt up to the 7.3 idi. By just changing the adapter plate and torque converter? I have heard only the e4od would bolt up and only if the e4od came off another 7.3 idi. That the housing was different. I really want to add the 4 speed trans, but I’ve also heard the e4od was notoriously unreliable. And I have access to 4r100.

No need to change the adapter, the 4R will bolt up with no problems. C6, E4OD and 4R100 diesel use the same bolt pattern. You will need to use a four stud converter instead of a six stud converter.

What makes the E4OD unreliable is the electronics. The early E4 had some wimpy internals, but that has been fixed through the years.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to change the adapter, the 4R will bolt up with no problems. C6, E4OD and 4R100 diesel use the same bolt pattern. You will need to use a four stud converter instead of a six stud converter.

What makes the E4OD unreliable is the electronics. The early E4 had some wimpy internals, but that has been fixed through the years.

Would an aftermarket controller like the Baumann be a big step up? Or is it that the solenoid pack and sensors are more the issue?

crr31c

Reaction score
Saburai thanks for the reply. So if I go with the 4R the electronics issues that plagued the early e4od should not be an issue. Also I can get a 4R with relatively low miles, and if I understand you correctly I can use the same adapter plate that is currently on my C6. And just buy a torque converter. I know the drive shaft will need to be modified and I’m looking at the baumann quick 4 controller kit. But that should have me ready to go?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the 4r100 controller is a completely stand alone controller then what you listed should work provided you can get the 4R TC built to match your flex plate.

If the controller is more of a piggyback system then you’ll likely be better off making your 4r100 think it’s an e4od by swapping in an e4od solenoid pack and something with the way the TC locks up or the pump can modify line pressure, I can’t remember if it’s a hard part in the front pump or something else but the 4R is PWM control and the e4od is old style solenoids so there’s some difference up front that has to be accounted for. And the TC will have to be built to match whichever control style you end up using. Then getting all the e4od related wiring and such into your truck will be much more plug and play than trying to create a 4R100 environment in your truck but you’ll still have all the most proven hard parts in the trans.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the E4ODs that came behind the IDI diesels were the only stand alone systems for controlling the transmission that came from the factory that way. The rest is a shared PCM. I also remember a thread years ago where a 4R100 was installed using an E4OD solenoid pack into an older IDI truck. The 1995 and up solenoid body also relocated a few diodes from the the transmission to the PCM, so you want to keep the electrical as a set, if using factory components (don't mix & match electrical parts between E4OD and 4R100). The range selector on the newer trucks is also updated for a digital signal to replace the older analog sensor.

Having done the E4OD swap and watched many over the years try and troubleshoot the OEM setup, I'd still say the aftermarket controller setup is the better option. The ability to live monitor the transmission on a laptop while driving is a pretty powerful diagnostic tool and you never have to worry about throwing codes and going into limp mode. The Aftermarket setups can also be installed with far fewer sensor inputs, further simplifying the job.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Baumman controller. I have had the original in my 84/89/93 E350 for a couple decades. I have a Quick 4 running the AODE in my 65 Mustang.

When they did the original, memory was expensive so they could only do so much. But now memory is cheap and that loosened the strings on the engineers. The original had two profiles that can be switched on-the-fly. The Quick 4 has four. And the original has a single, multiple color, LED. The current has an LCD screen.

By profiles, I mean it reprograms the control circuits. Imagine street/strip, or pull off a freeway, flip a switch - while rolling - and you have a dirt transmission, or a mountain transmission. I have shopped several controllers and nothing else comes close.

The current model also has a longer user learning curve. But there is a "simple" mode to get you started.

And I added a little something extra; LEDs on the solenoids. So I know what the controller is trying to do.

Last edited:

crr31c

Reaction score
Definitely going with the Baumann quick 4. It’s only a little more than the quick 2. I was more concerned with the mechanics, but from what all are saying on here it seems the 4r100 will bolt right up if I get it from a 7.3 PSD and I will just need a torque converter. Seems like something like this should work for the TC. Anyone that can jump in with more advice. I gladly welcome it, or if I’m on the wrong track please correct me. Thanks https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201900342911

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for one thing, make sure it has a drain plug. According to the 5-star reviewer, his didn't.

I would also fork out the extra for a billet front cover converter if you are looking to make power later on. High hp isn't really what kills transmissions and torque converters, its high torque. IDI's are certainly capable of that when equipped with a good turbocharging system. My engine probably isn't the most powerful out there, but I did pay extra for a billet front cover and triple clutch converter lockup. When my TC locks, it feels more like shifting gears; crisp and quick.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely going with the Baumann quick 4. It’s only a little more than the quick 2. I was more concerned with the mechanics, but from what all are saying on here it seems the 4r100 will bolt right up if I get it from a 7.3 PSD and I will just need a torque converter. Seems like something like this should work for the TC. Anyone that can jump in with more advice. I gladly welcome it, or if I’m on the wrong track please correct me. Thanks https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201900342911

That converter is OK if you guarantee you will lift your foot while it locks. I didn't, and we went home on a flat bed.

It had a deep pan and the snout on the filter melted off. The drain back valve melted. One converter to flex plate bolt welded the nut - I had to drill it off.

I had ordered and paid for a triple disk billet. I had the converter opened. It was a single disk, and there was no friction material left on the disk.

I now use nothing but triple disk billet. For an E4OD or 4R100 they are about $400 - those are common. I got one for the AODE in my 65 Mustang - $800 those are not common.

crr31c

Reaction score
Was just using that TC as an example. I was really just trying to verify as long as it’s a 4 bolt and fits 4R100 for 7.3 it should work? I will likely go with a better new TC not reman. Also can someone please clarify will the C6 adapter plate work with the 4R. I keep getting mixed answers on here

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also can someone please clarify will the C6 adapter plate work with the 4R. I keep getting mixed answers on here

I bought an 89 E350 for the IDI. It came with a C6. I bolted an E4OD on to it.

I think that makes the answer yes.

crr31c

Reaction score
Exactly what I needed. Thanks everyone for all the help. I’m going to start sourcing parts and prices. This is a tax return project. So it will be a bit yet. But will keep all posted, and try to post pics and info on the install when I get there. Thanks again all.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Would an aftermarket controller like the Baumann be a big step up? Or is it that the solenoid pack and sensors are more the issue?

Using an aftermarket controller is highly recommended. You can make the tranny do what you want.
Not what Ford said it should do.

The E4 reliability issues are the sensor and wiring. This stuff is antique add in some back woods repairs through the years.

With a 4R100 you will have no choice but to go after market with the controller. The factory TCM is not compatible with a PWM solenoid pack.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E4 reliability issues are the sensor and wiring.

With a 4R100 you will have no choice but to go after market with the controller. The factory TCM is not compatible with a PWM solenoid pack.

What "sensor".

And I have not heard mention of a speedometer.