60g Glowplugs

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
60g Glowplugs And Motor Swap Questions

I'm starting my motor swap tomorrow and of course waited till the last minute to get parts around. No one has motorcraft plugs in stock and it would be a couple days to get them. The swap is supposed to be done Sunday at the latest. I am totally bypassing the stock glowplug harness and like the idea of a constant duty 12v plug.
AutoZone has the 60g plugs in stock and is just down the road. I have done lots of reading and cannot come to a solid conclusion on whether these plugs will work. Will the 60g work in a 6.9 head without modification? Will they cause problems?
Would like to hear from someone that has done it if possible.
Thanks
Dylan

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What brand are these plugs and are they spade or bullet connectors. Any ZD9 plug will fit the idi heads but we recommend the motorcraft beru ZD9 plug because its outlasts all the others hands down. If that plug your posting about is a champion or autolite please don't use them. they burn out quickly and swell at the tips. Then its nearly impossible to get them out of the heads without pulling the heads.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ONLY BERU, don't fix what isn't broken....simple...order some from Rock Auto...Ya may take a day or two, however there really is only one reason for that now isn't there ;Poke

Bottom line simpler and quicker to use whats known working and can be diagnosed and parts available compared to a hodge podge of parts...

JM2CW

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
What brand are these plugs and are they spade or bullet connectors. Any ZD9 plug will fit the idi heads but we recommend the motorcraft beru ZD9 plug because its outlasts all the others hands down. If that plug your posting about is a champion or autolite please don't use them. they burn out quickly and swell at the tips. Then its nearly impossible to get them out of the heads without pulling the heads.
Delco. Chevy plugs.
Do a search, they've been mentioned many times. some say they work fine, others say they won't seal.
Think I've decided against them though.
You must be registered for see images attach

ONLY BERU, don't fix what isn't broken....simple...order some from Rock Auto...Ya may take a day or two, however there really is only one reason for that now isn't there ;Poke

Bottom line simpler and quicker to use whats known working and can be diagnosed and parts available compared to a hodge podge of parts...

JM2CW
Has to be done Sunday, its my dd.
Guess I could keep fogging it with my JD 80% ether for a couple days. I know you guys love that idea. Lol
I don't like the idea of 6v plug on 12v.. Will call the Ford dealer and see Howe much they will y try to bend me over for.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Zd9 vs zd1a difference?

The 6.9 engine from the 83 year to the 87 year used the spade connector ZD1A pictured above. Then from 88 on the system was rebuilt with a solid state controller and used the bullet type ZD9 plugs. Go to ebay and see whats offered for around $80.00 for a set of 8 Beru ZD9 motorcrafts. If you disable your plugs theres no reason why crack in a can can't be used for a long time. Used correctly its not going to hurt any parts but... Use it too much like a 5 second spray and your going to hurt stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont use house brand coolant. Zerex GO5 or fleet charge. Or any name brand that meets the big rig requirements.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my glow plugs. I took out ac delco plugs. None of them were swelled, but 3 of them were burned out. Let's just say that for a few more dollars, the motorcraft really do work amazingly well. Truck starts in 15 degree weather in about 1 second of cranking. There is a reason people here say only motorcraft/Beru. I get it now.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I got 8 ZD9 plugs. Need to get wire and connectors.
2 pints of VC8
Lower Radiator hose
Thermostat housing gaset
Hose clamps

Still need coolant. (Question still remains. Low silicate green ethylene/diethylene glycol OK with the VC8?)
Oil
Oil Filter
Other misc stuff.

Had this POS for like 2 months and regretting it. If this spare motor doesnt end up being a good one the whole thing is going to the scrap yard.

89"should have drove my jeep home"Laredo

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 8 ZD9 plugs. Need to get wire and connectors.
2 pints of VC8
Lower Radiator hose
Thermostat housing gaset
Hose clamps

Still need coolant. (Question still remains. Low silicate green ethylene/diethylene glycol OK with the VC8?)
Oil
Oil Filter
Other misc stuff.

Had this POS for like 2 months and regretting it. If this spare motor doesnt end up being a good one the whole thing is going to the scrap yard.

89"should have drove my jeep home"Laredo

I'd strongly suggest do OIL cooler O rings and Gaskets NOW!!! as well as block petcocks for draining block!

So this is an engine you purchased and did not run or hear run correct? I guess the gamble is what it is...

Good luck but seriously do that COOLER NOW cause if you put it in and a month later the cooler leaks...YOU WILL BE PISSED!!!!

JM2CW

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726