6.9 idi in a 4runner

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Bull moose pump with stock bb code injectors and a banks turbo setup properly tuned netted me 444 ft lbs at rear wheels. Rest of the engine was stock.

Thread moved to conversion forum.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I'm on a phone and typing long things like this start to hurt

Does your phone have a comma and a period key? LOL LOL

In all seriousness it does make it much easier to read and track your posts if there is a modicum of punctuation.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your phone have a comma and a period key? LOL LOL

In all seriousness it does make it much easier to read and track your posts if there is a modicum of punctuation.

itmakesitvereasytoreadwheneverythingsjumbledtogetherandnotstructured
iftypingasimpleposthurtshowinthehedoublehockeysticksareyougonnaturnawrench
alongwithpunctuationanenterorreturnkeyishighlyhelpfull

skiddles92

Reaction score
Auto correct deletes then and I dont catch it and as you can see it don't auto add them, some Times I hate Windows phones, but I'll try to make sure they are added. Dieselcrawler thank you that's what I was looking for and I'm sure if I just switch turbos for now not twin with what you posted should be just about how much I'm looking to spend maybe a little more read on banks turbo site last nite and they claim to add over a 100ft lbs under right conditions. Now any suggestions on frame supports I have a idea of what I need and want but looking for more ideas as I don't want to be at a stop sighn take off and snap or twist the frame. My idea is to brace the corners with 1/2 inch square tubing, running 2 new cross members plus what's there and add x supports in between the new and old beams with 1/4 square tubing. I would like to keep suv frame and chassis as stock as possible. As for being all unorganized is i Write in a rush while I'm working most the time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My idea is to brace the corners with 1/2 inch square tubing, running 2 new cross members plus what's there and add x supports in between the new and old beams with 1/4 square tubing. I would like to keep suv frame and chassis as stock as possible.

:sucks

what part of Oregon are you in?

that way when i travel north i can steer clear of this monstrosity

skiddles92

Reaction score
I'm fairly aware of what I'm doing as far as how to build again just looking for suggestions, if you can think of a better lighter way please feel free but with between 400-500 ft lbs no way that frame will hold so got to do something, as for running gear I have everything to add 1ton gear but figured a would destroy what's in the 4runner for s.a.g ( got in trouble for cursing). Sorry didn't clarify yes wall thickness, sorry about that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he means 1/2" and 1/4" WALL thickness? :confused: cuz if not, wow.

you and i both know, using said box tubing, 090 or 120 wall, is barley enough to reinforce bodys while moving them around.

makes me want to cry that people think this type of material is for frame reinforcement.

as for suggestions, you claim to know what your doing, but your text tells a different story.

my advice is more schooling, or more little projects (like bicycles or go carts) before you start this endeavor.

it may just save your life, and more importantly, other lives around you.

the point of this picture is to show you that 1" .090 tubing is for small stuff, like innercooler mounting.

for frame reinforcement, this is 5/16" 3 x 4" box tubing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and this is 3/4" SOLID STOCK
to reinforce bodys while i do my thing...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why a couple of us have already suggested dropping the body on a truck frame. Then at least the frame would be capable of the torque and stuff.

Don't come cryin' to us when your little toy frame snaps into three pieces from the torque of american IDI power.

skiddles92

Reaction score
I understand what I have described will only stop the frame from collapsing or bending not twisting, if you can help please feel free but again instead of putting me down for supposedly not know why don't you add advice.

I'm no noob to projects just one of this complex I have built all gassers till now, never had the money knew it was spendy to build a diesel.

List of builds I'll add them to my profile even though they are gas.

77 Ford bronco 460 auto transmission 12 inch suspension lift, 3 body to rise transfer case and tranny so they didn't hang below frame, 12000lb warn winch.

W250 5.9 360 la, got it brown painted it cherry red, dropped 4 inchs I made the drop kit myself as none are sold as it was 4x4. I kept the 4x4 working with custom drive lines ( not made by me ). Internals: black diamond main bearings and rod bearings, forged pistons dished for the twin turboes on a intercooled system, greddy bov, forged H beam rods, thumpr can, port and polished heads, mls head gasket, bored .040 over and stroked.

97 eclipse gst spyder with abs, added a blockbox ecu, 1000cc injectors, big 16 turbo with electronic boost controller, port and polished head with roller cams and lifters, bottom end was stock. Was gonna add gsx running gear but got eclipse impounded. Motor was a 4g63t

87 4runner i think. rig wasn't mine. But did a 350 swap with a turbo 350 tranny not sure of transfer case, it was already attached.

None where ever dynoed as central Oregon does not have a dyno. I'll pay pictures of the projects when I get back home I'm in lagrande Oregon doing a industrial construction job when I get to central Oregon I'll have my laptop back

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep one of a kind' look its possible!
Put the eng. midship!
Get it done.

I feel your capable but your post count still gives you no credit( read troll?) there is a 6 door, and idi falcon 4x4, and a 4 door bronco owned / built by a member here.
Do read the stickies, Also go back 40 odd pages and a bunch of years and see if the guy that came on swearing he could build +20 mpg idi and big power....search mpg!

Chill and slow down think on it some.
These guys are pretty good at moral suppt.
As long as one plays nice , we even spoon feed guys here.
You might ...( go to pirate 4x4 and pull this) now we do have some barbie jeeps and pink yotas infiltrating the site!!!
Any how, your doable, not practical( neither was a side oiler in a bristol! )Know what I'm talking about? a front heavy wheeler? I dunno mall crawlin yes!
See my sig line ?
I am looking at this from a rubicon trail perspective.
Cb out

Last edited:

skiddles92

Reaction score
I get to drop it on a heavier from if that is needed then I will but don't want to, I might break the frame in 10min may never won't know till it's done. Have any of you even attempted something like this, probably not that's why I'm sticking to doing it this way. All money a side as money ain't a issue, just don't have it in hand. I'll make this work.

I'm during from crohns as I won't take the surgery, so this is my last project I will probably be able to do so I want to build my dream and that's what I shall do. Before you all judge and say you can't died from crohns Google it, your right you can't from crohns but some of the side effect from meds and the disease it's self.

skiddles92

Reaction score
I was gonna use the same size as the frame just 1/2" wall thickness ( think I'll need thickrr ). I get post count doesn't give me credit I would have already started this project and posted pics of what I have said but can't just jump up and travel 500 miles to get my laptop. Weather isn't permitting even ripping into the 4runner as my drive way to my shop is flooded out from all the rain here lately, yes I have a Ford ranger I can drive through it but I'm not looking to tear up my land where my shop is.
I have slowed down and thought about this when I posted this I have what I was doing and what I was looking for, I didn't come on here asking how this can be done no I came on here asking how to get the power I want I will fix other problems when they arrise, as I'm sure they will quite often.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if i was going to build a diesel 4runner the last engine on my mind would be a 6.9/7.3 due to the size and weight. id be looking more towards an OM617 mercedes or even a half cut from an importer from florida. you could get a JDM halfcut with a factory installed yota diesel and everything would be factory bolt in... or a 4bt...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7