6.9 idi in a 4runner

skiddles92

Reaction score
I have a 4runner and a 6.9 idi I want to build this idi to push 400-500ft lbs of TORQUE not HP I'm looking to eventually twin turbo the 6.9 In the near future so keep that in mind. I'm looking for injectors want to spend no more then 550$ on injectors, 850$ on a injector pump, I want cams but can't find any, want pistons but find very few 575$ max I want to keep beginning project under 3k$ 4runner and engine, transmission, transfer case cost 900$ so with the prices set should come out barely over 3k I can adjust a little if 100% sure it's worth the extra $$$. Now I know 3k will not get me where I want but should put me close. I'm dead set on the 6.9. I will not even take consideration for any comments to switch I have already done bought both its a done deal.
All I'm asking for is finding these parts or follow my build

please don't leave comments about how hard it will be or how much fab it will take im very aware of what im getting into its just been a dream of mine.

Attachments

• 00V0V_gtqcNWIvA4I_600x450[1].jpg
    00V0V_gtqcNWIvA4I_600x450[1].jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 00e0e_3Z7lMgfEqo7_600x450[1].jpg
    00e0e_3Z7lMgfEqo7_600x450[1].jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
man, that sounds like quite a challenge, I'd almost look at dropping the body onto a bronco frame.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to ob

www.conestogadiesel.com talk to Mel for injection pumps injectors and turbos

http://www.idiperformance.com talk to Jason for injection pumps injectors cams intakes turbos etc

PM a fella on here named Typ4 his name is Russ cams IPs and injectors and turbos

Thos be the 3 I would reccomend

Read hall of shame...dont buy from vendors listed there

Read ALL the stickies...thats the permamemt threars at top of list

Good luck

JM7.3CW

skiddles92

Reaction score
like i said man im aware of what im getting into axles ill wait till i break the one that are in it and then i have a spare pair of solid 1 ton gear and make a full SAS and then lock it, and i dont have the lifts required for something like that or space i barely have the space fore this,

skiddles92

Reaction score
thanks riot will do im planning on this being a few week project and be back on the road. alot of work ahead it will be a week or so before i post more pics as i have to work 7 days a week to get this 100k square foot roof done before it snows but as soon as i get parts and start digging in ill post progress

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would drop that pile on a frame thats already has a straight axle.
then i would post it in the diesel conversion part of this forum.

being very aware, and asking how hard its gonna be is kinda like asking Obama what nationality he is.

in a fabricators world, its only as hard as the drive from within you.

skiddles92

Reaction score
i would drop that pile on a frame thats already has a straight axle.
then i would post it in the diesel conversion part of this forum.

being very aware, and asking how hard its gonna be is kinda like asking Obama what nationality he is.

in a fabricators world, its only as hard as the drive from within you.

While you may not like 4runners I do as for me asking how hard it is no where did I ask how hard it would be, I'm fully aware of the difficulty in this project.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please don't leave

even tho i misread, you still posted this in the wrong place.

some people like playing with American Steel, some like japcrap. its all good.
better you than me , i say.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its going to be one hell of a challenge to get it to physically fit in there. These things make SBC's look small (I say that as they are a pretty common swap). Good luck!

I'd probably go GM IDI though, but thats just me...

skiddles92

Reaction score
I'm aware as I have done a sbc swap and it's tight and where and how to move it as it is a 6.9 idi didn't realize there was a spot for conversions

skiddles92

Reaction score
I looked up and a 350sbc is not much smaller in size to a 6.9 the biggest is the length by 2 inchs my worries is getting the turbos to fit

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The height is a lot different. IIRC from bottom of pan to top of heads on a SBC is 22", while the bottom of the block (not oil pan) to top of an IDI is 27". Length like you said is about 2" which isn't that much, but height is a lot different when you factor the oil pan in. A powerstroke is a little taller, but bottom of pan to top most part (7.3, so the turbo is the tallest part) is about 36". An IDI will be slightly less, so lets say 33-34"

Thats about a foot difference. Anyways if you have it all measured and think you can do it I'm not trying to stop you. Going to do anything with the frame?

skiddles92

Reaction score
I hav a few ideas as I know the torque will destroy the frame if I'm not careful the vehicle was never intended for this amount of torque, adding some extra cross members along with some angle braces in the corners of the frame as for height was just doing a fully assembled block with heads didn't add in oil pan but if I have to I'll raise the body to adjust for some height and I'll drop the motor a few inchs. And if 100% needed I'll give my hood some a/c.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm going to hop on the "it's gonna be a tight fit" wagon. Anything is possible with enough time, skill, equipment and motivation, not to mention $$$$. But how are you planning to stuff twin turbos in there? Remote mount maybe? I've had a 4 runner and full size bricknose ford nose to nose and there's definitely less room to work with. Personally I'd go 4BT before I'd even think about a V8 diesel, but the 6.9/7.3 has been wearing on me.

skiddles92

Reaction score
I want something different and got the 6.9 idi with clutch transmission and transfer case for 500$, and maybe remote mount still not sure might just hang them out the hood to I was thinking to gt 38s for turbos

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7