6.9 build

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Hey guys been at work but I finally have a direction with my truck and I wanted to run the engine build by you guys since I don't know much about diesels. As for now she is goingto the body shop to get my floor redone and my cab corners.

Depending on ifi can rebuild my current block or not ill. Get a 6.9 turbo long block
Rip the heads off get a port and polish. Can you get a 3-5 angle valve job done to diesels?
Arp studs
Banks turbo (already have )
Custom intake for the turbo ( already have)
baby moose ip
bb injectors
Electric. Fuel pump
and revamped fuel system
and maybe a rebuild turbo

Does this.sound solid?

Now for the actual fuel lines.can.u use steel braided lines.instead?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the fuel supply lines to the lift pump, filter, and injection pump- yes they can be steel braided. However, I have been told by more than one person that if you go steel braided for diesel fuel, you should use the teflon liner (Earl's Speed-Flex hose). The Teflon lined steel braided hose is supposed to be impervious to diesel fuel, where as the rubber lined steel braid can start to break down. This Speed-Flex hose is $$$.

Archie

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. There isn't likely a 6.9 long block that you can buy with IDI turbo rods, but you can built it that way, if Mahle still makes a 6.9 piston with the larger turbo spec wrist pin bore. Studs are a great idea with the 6.9. The valve grind is certainly possible if needed.

Heath

Last edited:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I went with braided for the supply lines, Summit carries a good selection. I also did a 3 angle valve job on my heads. And the heads need to have the ports cleaned up quite a bit.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
i am going to go with with the braided lines because the look better :)

also gen where did you get your head work done and how much?

as for getting a moose pump i thought about it, but i can put a turbo rebuilt ip, it puts out more than a N/A pump so all in all i can turn up maybe one flat on the new ip and that should be PLENTY for me, im looking to build a very efficient engine. not really going for power, i suspect a good efficient engine will make good power and still be MPG friendly lol

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as for getting a moose pump i thought about it, but i can put a turbo rebuilt ip, it puts out more than a N/A pump so all in all i can turn up maybe one flat on the new ip and that should be PLENTY for me, im looking to build a very efficient engine. not really going for power, i suspect a good efficient engine will make good power and still be MPG friendly lol

Turbo IP vs. Non-turbo, max output is still 60cc. You can turn up a non-turbo IP and get the same or more fuel and a turbo IP with stock setting on the fuel screw. What I'm saying is, there is nothing really special about an IP from a Factory Turbo IDI.

Heath

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789