6.0 reliability mods

Broncoxraptor

Reaction score
Ok guys, I tried to sell my 6.0 and it's not looking good. I like it so i'm not going to beat myself up and just stay with it. What has already been done is in my siggy but I wanted to know what other mods I can make to ensure long trouble free use. The truck does occasional DD duties when the bronco is down for maintenance or it tows the bronco to Offroad parks. I was thinking for now obviously it needs a pyro guage but would I benefit in the reliability and prevention department from a water/**** kit?

Thanks, Raptor.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would get yourself a Edge CS or CTS insight. Its not tunes, its just gauges, but gives you a good idea of things going on. You need to monitor your oil temp/coolant temp deltas to see if your oil cooler is clogging up. Since you have a EGR delete you dont have to worry about it as much, but its still a good idea to change it if its getting clogged.

Have you done a coolant flush?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy just did everything on his 70K mile 2006, I know the chemical flush and changing the coolant was a big deal. The other this is that I think you definitely need an Edge controller as the biggest deal is watching the delta between coolant and oil temperatures. He babies his truck but the oil cooler was pretty plugged, he has a good source and writeup for all the parts you need. I think when everything is done, the 6 liters can be pretty dependable, just lots of preventive maintenance. I will try to dig up his stuff and post it for you.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just talked to my buddy, he said look for srmastertech, lots of information and lots of utube videos.

Have you checked the temperature difference between your oil temp and coolant temp yet? I remember him telling me if there's more than a 12 degree difference that indicates the cooler is getting plugged. He did a really thorough/time consuming flush and then went to the orange coolant, and then did his oil cooler replacement.

Lots of info out there, hope this helps.

Broncoxraptor

Reaction score
So it blew it's EGR cooler at 122k I think, and imagine the oil cooler was taken care of at that time too. Where is the oil cooler located on the engine?