4x4 H gets skipped...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of my links are that short, but then again none of them, is from a truck with the stupid push-down shifter. So I guess I'll be of now help there, sorry! What you can do is measure it yourself - put the transfer case in 2wd and the shifter all the way forward till it bottoms out and measure distance from bushing pin to bushing pin, then move transfer case to 4x4 low range and shifter all the way back till it bottoms out and measure again, finally transfer case goes in 4x4 high range and shifter also in 4H but held right against the gate and measure again. Should come up with three very close if not identical measurements, post here what they are.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of my links are that short, but then again none of them, is from a truck with the stupid push-down shifter. So I guess I'll be of now help there, sorry! What you can do is measure it yourself - put the transfer case in 2wd and the shifter all the way forward till it bottoms out and measure distance from bushing pin to bushing pin, then move transfer case to 4x4 low range and shifter all the way back till it bottoms out and measure again, finally transfer case goes in 4x4 high range and shifter also in 4H but held right against the gate and measure again. Should come up with three very close if not identical measurements, post here what they are.

No revelations.... The distance is 4". I am wondering if the linkage should be flipped so the bushing if facing one way in one hole and the other way in the other hole... Maybe it's not the distance but the pitch?

Anyway, I cut a new piece with the same measurements, painted it. Flushed some tranny fluid through the T-case and then filled it. Was hoping to take the truck out and play in the snow, but I can't find the extra bushings I had. I'll finish painting the fabbed linkage tomorrow and go to Advance and pick up some bushings. I asked Jasper to snap a couple pics of his linkage for me so I can compare it to mine to see if there is anything noticeably different.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a Lil busy with Christmas shopping.
Might be able to get it when I get home.

Thanks jasper. No worries I'm in for the night. If not, I'll bug you about it tomorrow. I appreciate it, thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mine is actually 4½ inches on center.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, ***? So would the tranny swap have affected this? Does the transfer case have to be moved after the swap?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, ***? So would the tranny swap have affected this? Does the transfer case have to be moved after the swap?
Transfer case moves with the transmission flange, there are no spacers between the two. By simply swapping in a ZF5 where an E4OD used to be the transfer case will move a few inches forward. The shifter position is fixed with respect to the engine and cab, regardless of which transmission you have it will stay in the same spot - so to account for transmissions with different lengths the Z-bar of the shifter linkage is made in different lengths. The shifter appears to be identical between all automatic and manual transmissions, so that's not messing you up, you have the correct shifter for your model year of truck.

I'm thinking you should try the 4-1/2" link. Before Jasper measured his I was about to suggest you exactly that length, it was an eyeballed number based on how much travel you got left on the shifter before it maxes out and the leverages it operates at - guess I forgot to tell you that, well now we have a confirmation my guesstimate was right. You have 4" link now and it obviously is too short even tho that's also what you measured between shifter and transfer case. So go 4-1/2" and see if that fixes the issue, hopefully it does.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success!!! I made another link 4 1/2" long, painted it, wrestled the bushings into it, and put it on. Drove it to Stanley Springs with snow strategically placed in the area where the inspection sticker should be. The parking lot was covered in snow. I locked in the hubs, shifted that ***** into 4wd and ripped it!!! Worked in 4Hi, 4Lo and back to 2wd again!!! Shifts normally, everything's great!!! Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you for all the extra effort and braving the cold to take pics and all the patience. Thank you guys so much!