460 to 7.3 swap

ahmincha

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 89 f450 with the 460. I looking at a 90 f350 with a 7.3 idi complete running truck the 460 is bad so i was thinking of converting to diesel. My cab is also rotted out and the new truck cab is in good shape so i will be putting the 90 cab on the 89 450. what i would like to know what issues i will have will the diesel bolt in (are the k frames the same) any surprises i should be aware of any help will be appreciated thanks

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything should bolt right in, youre just going to have swap the motor mount plates that are bolted to the cross member. Since your also swapping cabs that will aleviate having to mess with the wiring.

Also, take a look at the core support and compare the two. I cant remember if they are the same when it comes to the diesel and gas radiator placements.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No...They do NOT drop in. The frame stands do not match for the gas or the diesel. The frame stands can not be there for the diesel. Then you have to cut a hole or two in the pass side crossmemeber to slide the diesel mounts in. I am 99% sure they are different but they are different than the 1/2 ton stuff too. Since I have done the swap into mine, that is what I can remember. I am not sure they are the same as the 3/4 ton x-member.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes