4.10 to 3.55 swap?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I made this change in my truck, and I love it. I was planning on doing the swap and I had found a set of used ring and pinion gears on fleebay for about $30, and an entire D50 center chunk for $130 (to my door). Another $25 for a set of rear shims. My front pinion bearing went out and I lost 4wd. It was Feb and I wanted the 4wd back quick so I paid my mechanic to do the swap. Labor was about $700 I think. With the 4.10 I never really used first gear unless I had a load of firewood in the bed. Making a turn was a pain in the rear. 2nd was too low, and 3rd was too high. With 3.55 everything fits great (for me). I mainly drive too and from work, but I do haul an occational trailer, and of course firewood. If I were mostly hauling, I'd look for some 3.73 gears, if I spent a lot of time hauling more than #6K then I'd look at the 4.10s.

That's my 2 bits.
Mark

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.55 on a crew cab may help on the fuel mileage but wear and tear from the pull of that big of a truck would wear that auto tranny if its an auto. my father in law had a 93 idi 4 door long bed that had the e4od i believe and it had been rebuilt twice since he owned it with 355 and the mechanic said if it was a stick it would be better but it had to work to hard to pull that big of a truck. just my opinion i would keep the 4.10 it would be easier on the trans. especially if your hauling heavy loads all the time :)

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 3.55's sitting in my garage...I wanted to swap them in, but I'm unsure about doing it myself and it is not cheap to have it done somewhere. Bah, maybe one of these days...