30MPG IDI

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do that in a BIG truck, with a CDL and the DOT catch you....you won't be doing it EVER again.

It's 100% illegal in all of North America I believe with a commercial truck!
What he said, and with good reason...going down grade, you want to be using the engine to regulate your speed, with the brakes being used sporadically to help keep your speed in check. Using the brakes as your primary method of keeping speed down is a great way to overheat your brakes, risking brake failure...

In addition to safety (which is of course a huge reason by itself), there's a good practical reason for keeping the transmission in gear...on most diesels, if the engine's above idle and your foot's off the pedal (i.e. when going downhill in gear), the injector pump's injecting zero fuel, as opposed to the IP injecting a small amount of fuel to keep the engine running with the transmission in Neutral. If you're going down a hill that you know very well and you're 120% certain that you can coast safely, keep the engine in gear and just use a higher gear.

Just my $.02...

sassyrel

Reaction score
I've got a 30mpg IDI, it cant get out of its own way though! lol Damn 3.08 gears!

at one time,,Ford for the nine inch,,made 2.73 gears...and i had a dana 60 out of a 1/2 ton van,,had the same gears!!!!!!! wouldnt have believed it,,but the tag read it,,and i turned and counted both!!

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with gear that high, you have to drive like a grandpa and can actually use more fuel getting to speed due to lugging that you save. Alot of the 6.2 Blazers had 3.08 gears.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I usually just keep the pedal to er so I can make the next hill. Sometimes I may clutch in if I'm trying to hear something, but unlikely down a hill.
I would hate to be pulling a load, pop it in neutral, then have to stop fast and can't get it back into gear to engine brake. I engine brake on all cars and trucks I drive.

You get soem BIG diesel power....like an ISX cummins, C16 Cat, etc and you don't need that extra run on. I haul 2.5 tons more legally on my truck, than an 18 wheeler can haul. I see them blowing past me like seabiscuit downhill, and I catch them on the uphill side of things. That's the difference between a 430 detroit and a 500 cummins. Plus, if I toss the jake on, I watch them roll away with their brakes on...and I am only on stage 3 of the jakes. I RARELY use the foot brake to regulate speed or slow down in the rigs...weighing in at 55 000 - 110 000 pounds.

Goofyexponent: When you said commercial, I'm sure that includes even half-tons with a commercial tag, correct?

Precisely. If you are driving a vehicle with commercial tags, then you are on the job. In Nova Scotia, you are legally REQUIRED to run a logbook in ANY vehicle with commercial tags, or a registered weight over 3200 KGS.

They let you slide for teh most part, but if you make a DOT officer mad by not securing a load, you're most likely getting raked over the coals.

Although it's illegal, I see a LOT of people with high sped trucks (numerically higher, like 4.11, 4.63, etc) and direct ratio transmissions in throw them into Gerogia overdrive to up their speed downhill, to gain momentum on the next uphill.

The catch is, if something happens that they NEED to stop, when the stomp on the brake pedal, they will FRY their brakes within 150 feet, to the point where they are smoking and are so hot you could fry a 1" thick steak on them before they cool down.

I've seen brake drums on a dump truck SO hot, they burnt the hub seal on the spindle and blew a tire. Hard to imagine, but I've seen it more than once.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What he said, and with good reason...going down grade, you want to be using the engine to regulate your speed, with the brakes being used sporadically to help keep your speed in check. Using the brakes as your primary method of keeping speed down is a great way to overheat your brakes, risking brake failure...

In addition to safety (which is of course a huge reason by itself), there's a good practical reason for keeping the transmission in gear...on most diesels, if the engine's above idle and your foot's off the pedal (i.e. when going downhill in gear), the injector pump's injecting zero fuel, as opposed to the IP injecting a small amount of fuel to keep the engine running with the transmission in Neutral. If you're going down a hill that you know very well and you're 120% certain that you can coast safely, keep the engine in gear and just use a higher gear.

Just my $.02...

I usually just keep it in double OD and let the jake do the work. If I see the ROM start to creep up, even 100 - 150 RPM, I'll split back into OD and let the jake do the work. It usually stops the speed increase and starts slowing down just doing that.....even grossing 110 000 pounds.