30MPG IDI

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's a member here that has experience with that site. Can't remember the name but he has a box dump f350. Dark green or black I think.
I saw his thread on the other ford site where he was experimenting some mileage improvers.

Found him. Its FORDF250HDXLT.
Ask him for some idea's on improving mileage body wise.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC Mel's son's Night Moose is capable of mileage close to that without trying...OTOH that's a short-box flare-side F-150 2WD with a ZF and 3.08 gears. Not much of a work truck, but I imagine it's fun to drive ;Sweet

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Yeah he gets good mileage but what about the danger he is putting himself and everyone else on the road in? Having a vehicle un powered on the highway makes reacting to emergency maneuvers next to impossible or the time frame to so greatly increased.

Also, a truck is to use not a job to get better mileage. Removing all the electrics, pushing it by hand to save fuel and shutting down on the highway is not real world living.

I also noticed his mileage bragging never mentions the fuel needed to charge up those batteries every time he uses the truck. This reporting is typical of liberal loons.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want a killer mileage IDI? Go get yourself a really nice (Eddie Bauer please :D) 86-96 1/2 ton Bronco. Put an IDI with a ZF5 speed in it, leave the front axle in place but pull the front driveshaft and transfer case (you aren't off roading it remember) and then gear the rear axle to the lowest numerical number you can get. Remember the 6.2 GM diesel two door Blazers? You'd have yourself an IDI version of that truck, which should put down 25+ MPG's.

Somebody needs to build a lightweight Bronco IDI, there was actually an article in a recent AutoWeek magazine where the staff converted a 93ish Bronco to a PowerStroke/ZF combo, but the level of detail on the build up was pretty weak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted... After Mels son finished the 6.9 install in the F150 and ZF 5 speed he got 29.5mpg returning home from the 2009 rally without trying anything special. That truck is a lite weight rig but those mpg are impressive for a rig that can actually haul some wood or dirt. Mel even posted that he had not done anything to the engine like injecters or even timed the engine yet... I bet that truck could get 35 mpg with some skinny tires aired up and some coasting.. Maybe more...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
mexican overdrive (neutral with the engine ON) is illegal.....imagine what they would say if they found out he was operating a commercial vehicle in neutral with the engine OFF on the highway. DOT would crap a chicken!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Coasting with the engine off is like playing leapfrog with a unicorn. You just know its going to end up badly.....:angel::D

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i always put it in neutral on a big highway going down hill( it just makes sense) but i NEVER shut the engine off!

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though this guy has to be nuts to do all that to save a few bucks, at least the brake booster is electric so he has brakes without the motor running. And the guy calmed to be Eco friendly or whatever but I'm sure those batteries in there cause more pollution to make than what the truck will ever put out. At least that's the case with hybrid/electric cars.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yea i always put it in neutral on a big highway going down hill( it just makes sense) but i NEVER shut the engine off!

You do that in a BIG truck, with a CDL and the DOT catch you....you won't be doing it EVER again.

It's 100% illegal in all of North America I believe with a commercial truck!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I usually just keep the pedal to er so I can make the next hill. Sometimes I may clutch in if I'm trying to hear something, but unlikely down a hill.
I would hate to be pulling a load, pop it in neutral, then have to stop fast and can't get it back into gear to engine brake. I engine brake on all cars and trucks I drive.

Goofyexponent: When you said commercial, I'm sure that includes even half-tons with a commercial tag, correct?