3 or 4 inch exhaust??

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, used downpipe supplied in kit. I also have factory 093 turbo.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real interested in this...
What mods were required to fit the psd down pipe to the 093?
The guy at d.e. said nuthing was a bolt on back then....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real interested in this...
What mods were required to fit the psd down pipe to the 093?
The guy at d.e. said nuthing was a bolt on back then....
-Lame:rtfm
Just kidding.

There’s a tech article in the stickies.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pinch seam on cab firewall needs to be modded (see previous pics), I also added V-band connection. As for the exhaust, it comes in pieces. I actually welded the joints on the rear (over the axle) portion then had it powder coated to eliminate leak points & clamps plus help corrosion resistance.

84 4x4

Reaction score
Banks downpipe, although an upgrade over the stock IDIT downpipe, fits terribly and is only 2.75", which is the same as what came on the ats 093 kits. Double checking myself here, I measured the stock exhaust on an obs psd I have at the shop, a stock IDIT exhaust system and a complete diamondeye 4" exhaust I have on the shelf and it looks like although it would seal, the IDIT downpipe studs are just a 1/4" off from the psd flange, so although they look like they would bolt together (the stock IDIT downpipe bolt to the cat delete pipe, and the rest of the diamondeye kit) its just a blonde one off. Although the sealing surfaces themselves would work together, they wont bolt on. However, if you were to use this kit, if you cut off the two bolt flange from the stock IDIT downpipe and the flange on the diamondeye kit, a simple 2.5"-3.5" adapter either welded on or band clamped would allow you to bolt it on without much hassle. If you can operate a tape measure and a sawzaw, you can bolt on this kit to either a factory turbo truck, or a truck with a factory turbo kit installed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Eye-4-Alum-Cat-Back-Single-No-****-94-97-Ford-F250-F350-7-3-Powerstroke/142065597516?fits=Make:Ford&epid=194806450&hash=item2113c4fc4c:g:vV8AAOSwTZ1XlnF3

Of course, this retains the crushed downpipe that the IDIT came with, but I should have a new solution that will eliminate that shortly.
Hi Wes, I plan on your suggested exhaust above when your turbo kit shows up. What's with the new solution? Should I wait for it?

vlrd56

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Only one muffler = low cost at 3 inch

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Wes, I plan on your suggested exhaust above when your turbo kit shows up. What's with the new solution? Should I wait for it?
I outlined it in your email this morning, but for all others reading I would say a 2.5-3or4” adapter from the stock downpipe is the simplest route if you are sticking with the stock downpipe and want to use the psd exhaust. If you cut the flange off the stock downpipe it’s almost a perfect 2.5” OD, and a regular adapter slides over nicely.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a 4” diamond eye exhaust that backed up to the banks downpipe. Honestly the 4” is overkill for the stock turbo and a 3” exhaust kit for a 460 truck would work just fine. Both are cheap options and will let the engine breathe uninhibited. I kept the muffler on because I’m getting too old for that loud s&!%!!!

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a 4” diamond eye exhaust that backed up to the banks downpipe. Honestly the 4” is overkill for the stock turbo and a 3” exhaust kit for a 460 truck would work just fine. Both are cheap options and will let the engine breathe uninhibited. I kept the muffler on because I’m getting too old for that loud s&!%!!!

Did that bolt together?

Eli

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the 4" diamond eye kit on @saburai truck. Sounds very nice and is not too loud at all. Kinda reaffirmed that is what I will order for mine.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 3 inch strait from the turbo that exits before the rear passenger tire it's really not that loud unless all the windows are down and I'm pulling something heavy

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I’ve attempted a straight pipe on a turbo IDI and loved the sound under all conditions EXCEPT loaded on long downgrades. Such as 5-10 miles of logging roads. Dropping 3-4,000 feet.The backrap would get louder and Louder and LOUDER until you had to either stop or push on the clutch to start the whole cycle over. Tried it first dumped in front of the tire, then put the tailpipe back on. No change. Finally I was getting afraid it would make my horses deaf so I put about a 30” straight through 3” muffler on it. You could tell it wanted to do it still but now the sound was cool when shifting or decellerating.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
So on the 91 the Banks tailpipe got torn up by a blown tire so it was time for forced upgrade. Kept the Banks 3” downpipe but from there back used a Powerstroke 4” system with a straight through Dynomax muffler. Sounds really nice and deep, right on the border of a backrap on shifting and long loaded downgrades. Sounds much better than any of my IDI’s with 3”. But then my 7.3 powerstroke has a 5” straight pipe sounds low rumbly and mean but doesn’t backrap or get loud on long downgrades. But the IDI actually sounds better overall...