3 or 4 inch exhaust??

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'93 idi 7.3 turbo all original.
The stock turbo being 2-1/2 inch internally supposedly, would I be better with a 3" or a 4" exhaust?
If the turbo is already 2-1/2 inches, then a 4" might be excessive?
If, IF I upgraded the turbo down the road, would I then need a 4" exhaust?
The down pipe is restricted to 3 inches due to clearance.

Other than that I believe i am soon in need of a set of injectors. 125K and I believe I have a dead one.
Cleaner an option? What brand?
Who has decent injectors?
Rock Auto has 4 Motorcraft left in stock. I suspect I need 8 to do an engine.
The $600 exhaust is next week, $775 Line-X spray in bed liner the week after.
Wonder how long before she screams at me?
I already bought the 4X4 trans and transfer case, plus the front axle for the conversion.
That will start to happen after the trans is built.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read up in the tech section and hall of shame, before you cash in....
4"
8 injectors
And an i.p.
8 glows
And return lines
at 125k these are all at service lifespan

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Read up in the tech section and hall of shame, before you cash in....
4"
8 injectors
And an i.p.
8 glows
And return lines
at 125k these are all at service lifespan

yep, although a 3" exhaust should be just fine it was easy for me to get the 4" kit and be done with it.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I looked into this, the easy way was a Banks downpipe and intermediate pipe and a Diamond Eye PSD 'cat-back' kit to open it up - unless you put the entire Banks kit on. Not too cheap, but not ridiculous.

Eli

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, dont spend the $600 on an IDI exhaust. 94-97 7.3 psd Diamondeye kit is around $300 shipped. Get the downpipe back kit, and it will bolt onto your existing downpipe flange without modification, and the rest of the kit fits your stock hanger locations. I prefer 4" with no muffler, you would be amazed how quiet it is with the stock turbo. Ive got pumps, injectors and tons of goodies in stock for your truck: https://classicdieseldesigns.com/

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks pipe was 3" ( iirc) on my 88.
Psd pipes are ?3.5" ?
Diamond eye is looking for an obs test mule to prototype a kit on\with...
@Thewespaul ya gotta pn for the diamond eye kit mentioned above?
Last I heard nuthing was a bolt on...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the 4" Diamond Eye. While 3" is probably plenty of breathing room for our engines, I like the "beefy" appearance of 4". I bought a complete 4" Stainless exhaust kit from Diamond Eye for a PSD (no muffer) everything was "bolt-on" except the downpipe which requires slight firewall mod and I changed the turbo flange to V-band. This combination is not loud.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks downpipe, although an upgrade over the stock IDIT downpipe, fits terribly and is only 2.75", which is the same as what came on the ats 093 kits. Double checking myself here, I measured the stock exhaust on an obs psd I have at the shop, a stock IDIT exhaust system and a complete diamondeye 4" exhaust I have on the shelf and it looks like although it would seal, the IDIT downpipe studs are just a 1/4" off from the psd flange, so although they look like they would bolt together (the stock IDIT downpipe bolt to the cat delete pipe, and the rest of the diamondeye kit) its just a blonde one off. Although the sealing surfaces themselves would work together, they wont bolt on. However, if you were to use this kit, if you cut off the two bolt flange from the stock IDIT downpipe and the flange on the diamondeye kit, a simple 2.5"-3.5" adapter either welded on or band clamped would allow you to bolt it on without much hassle. If you can operate a tape measure and a sawzaw, you can bolt on this kit to either a factory turbo truck, or a truck with a factory turbo kit installed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Ey...806450&hash=item2113c4fc4c:g:vV8AAOSwTZ1XlnF3

Of course, this retains the crushed downpipe that the IDIT came with, but I should have a new solution that will eliminate that shortly.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks downpipe, although an upgrade over the stock IDIT downpipe, fits terribly and is only 2.75", which is the same as what came on the ats 093 kits. Double checking myself here, I measured the stock exhaust on an obs psd I have at the shop, a stock IDIT exhaust system and a complete diamondeye 4" exhaust I have on the shelf and it looks like although it would seal, the IDIT downpipe studs are just a 1/4" off from the psd flange, so although they look like they would bolt together (the stock IDIT downpipe bolt to the cat delete pipe, and the rest of the diamondeye kit) its just a blonde one off. Although the sealing surfaces themselves would work together, they wont bolt on. However, if you were to use this kit, if you cut off the two bolt flange from the stock IDIT downpipe and the flange on the diamondeye kit, a simple 2.5"-3.5" adapter either welded on or band clamped would allow you to bolt it on without much hassle. If you can operate a tape measure and a sawzaw, you can bolt on this kit to either a factory turbo truck, or a truck with a factory turbo kit installed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Eye-4-Alum-Cat-Back-Single-No-****-94-97-Ford-F250-F350-7-3-Powerstroke/142065597516?fits=Make:Ford&epid=194806450&hash=item2113c4fc4c:g:vV8AAOSwTZ1XlnF3

Of course, this retains the crushed downpipe that the IDIT came with, but I should have a new solution that will eliminate that shortly.

I forgot, what did you do for my downpipe?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, they are about 4 hours down the road down around Pendelton, Ore and I guess I will give them a call and see what happens.
Now I can start looking at injectors.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got injectors ready to ship and if you want to keep your business local I'm in Newberg Oregon LOL.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, they are about 4 hours down the road down around Pendelton, Ore and I guess I will give them a call and see what happens.
Now I can start looking at injectors.
Lemme know and I will get the guys name to ask for.
Best part is ya get a free pipe!

Grady J

Reaction score
X2 on the 4" Diamond Eye. While 3" is probably plenty of breathing room for our engines, I like the "beefy" appearance of 4". I bought a complete 4" Stainless exhaust kit from Diamond Eye for a PSD (no muffer) everything was "bolt-on" except the downpipe which requires slight firewall mod and I changed the turbo flange to V-band. This combination is not loud.

Did you use the same downpipe that came with the psd exhaust kit? I'm thinking about doing this same exact same thing, only i have the factory turbo.