2000 rpm vibration

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday when pulling out into traffic and getting the truck up to speed with the flow, that there is a vibration around 2k. I went and read through 4 or 5 threads this morning to get an idea of what it could be. I didn't drive the truck today so I will have to wait til I get home to check out the simple things like the water pump. I just replaced my return lines so no leaks up top, but since then(and it was doing this before aside from leaking lines) I have had it do the start and run for 5-10 seconds alright then get rough and die and have to restart. I'm guessing my water pump being worn out isn't the problem and that it will be related to fuel delivery. I don't have any smoke except when i get on the skinny pedal to get the thing moving, and then it only puts out minimal black smoke.

Any thoughts?

I have only had the truck a few weeks. It was previously a gasser swapped to diesel. PO/swappie said engine only had about 180k on it. he used the engine/trans out of a single cab to go in the crew.

it's a 7.3 n/a 5 speed 4x4.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out drivetrain stuff.
Like U-joints and hanger bearing.
Unless you can pinpoint that its coming from the front of the pickup.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is at 2000 rpm in any gear it's probably not drive train related. If its 2k only in one gear, I would guess it is drive train related. If it's 2k regardless of speed, start looking at the things that turn the same rpm regardless of speed... like clutch disk forward.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
180k on engine, any ideas on the fuel system? The mechanical lift pump could possibly be letting fuel bleed back toward the tank. I suppose your injector pump could let some pressure bleed off after it sits for a while too.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is at 2000 rpm in any gear it's probably not drive train related. If its 2k only in one gear, I would guess it is drive train related. If it's 2k regardless of speed, start looking at the things that turn the same rpm regardless of speed... like clutch disk forward.

BOOM.

did the po replaced clutch and flywheel?

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO put on a uhual pump recently. I'm guessing fly wheel and clutch not replaced when swap done by PO who knows about before then

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like its flywheel related to me because you have no idea what the po did when they installed this engine. Could have the flywheel off center or a bad dual mass flywheel or the wrong wheel on this engine too. Might even be the stack setup of the flywheel and washer spacer on the wrong side of the wheel.