200,000 mile tune up

7.3shrk

I'm just coming up on 200,000 on my 92 f-250. I was wondering if there was anything I should be doing to tune it at this point? I do not know much on the history of it, but I believe the pump and injectors have already been replaced, but I am clueless when. Is there anything else I should do besides fluids?

Thanks,

Nick

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put some info in your sig so we know more about your truck. Give your profile a tune up too, so we know where your from. I recommend a new IP and injectors every 100K. Replace the mechanical fuel pump (or go electric), Pull the valve covers and check for wear. Do an oil analysis with Blackstone. Do all your fluids, and don't forget to change the headlight fluid. LOL

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of you forgot the most important part of a tune up and actually it should be done every 50K miles so this guy is long over due.

Lube the muffler bearings which are found at the inlet and outlet of the muffler. Thankfully I dont have to worry about mine as the muffler along with the entire exhaust was replaced about 2-3 years ago. At the same time I also replaced the muffler bearings. The bearings were $20 each. Thats cheap insurance for 50K miles.

Mel, Perhaps the muffler bearing procedure should be a part of the tech articles.

Just a little FYI. Muffler bearings are only on the NA IDI. There not needed on the turboed IDI.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now should we be using speacial hi temp lube or will normal grease work i am about 125,000 miles over due for this service so i will get right on it. maybe i should clean them first with a big bucket of steam LOL

2manydsls

Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad i noticed the info on the muffler bearings. The factory left off all the grease zirks on my vehicles, so I had to install them. Sure does make lots of smoke after a good greasing though.
With winter coming on, might also want to check for worn electrons in the batteries.:rotflmao
Ross

7.3shrk

Now, I think my muffler bearings are shot, I pumped 5 tubes of grease into them, but the truck is still loud! grease is finally starting to ooze out of the muffler! I went to Kragen to get the air for the tires - is winter air supposed to cost that much more? Do I put the orange or green headlight fluid in? Should I go high mileage stuff? Oh, also, where do I put the spark plugs and wires on a 92 7.3 IDI?LOL

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ask anyone at autozone they will get you the right sparker plugs and wires for your truck.;Sweet

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to unobtainium muffler bearings a long time ago, no lube required.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Do I put the orange or green headlight fluid in? Should I go high mileage stuff? Oh, also, where do I put the spark plugs and wires on a 92 7.3 IDI?LOL

i used the red, it costs more but is supposed to be better for off-road.

for a tune up i would at least have it timed, maybe update the o-rings and caps if they havent been done in a while. mels got the right advice for injectors and pump.

brake fluid should be changed every few years since it can absorb moisture and lowers its boiling point and can cause internal corrosion.

just a good check over, chassis lube, whens the last time the axles and trany have had there fluid changed?