1ST Time It Left Me Stranded!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thursday morning, sunny, not too hot,...& I'm sitting in the truck watching the poor ******* that bought my Freightliner drive away with it. I have a load sitting on the Peterbilt which I needed to get to NC. So I head for the yard. As I pull out into traffic & start to accelerate I hear a big "pop" & she dies. Crank & no start in the middle of a 4 lane road @ rush hour. Finally got a break in traffic & drifted it into a car dealers driveway. It cranks but sounds like it isn't getting fuel. I didn't have time to mess with it because I was late for work & had a buddy come tow it to his shop & asked him to look @ it while I was gone. He called later & said he pulled the cover on the IP gear & the whole thing is loose & wobbling. I told him it was a 1.5 week old IP & not to touch it. Talked to KEN who said he doesn't have another pump available & he wants this pump back to evaluate. I have to get the truck towed back to my house & get the freakin' pump off to send back. In the meantime I have no wheels! -cuss -cuss. Well, not totally true. I did just buy a '73 Ford Bronco Explorer but I have to go get it & have no tags for it yet. It's bad ass though ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn it!! He screwed up on the pump build or either you didn't tighten down the mounting bolts, but I would never want to admit to that possibility unless I was sure it was my mistake(Been there done that, got hosed! not by Ken, but I let another builder off the hook). Either way, I am sure what he's gonna find....snapped pump shaft, and hopefully he'll stand behind his product 100%

pafixitman

Reaction score
Glad to hear the Freightliner is history. Nothing to add about the pump. I'll tell the boys in the morning and see what they have to say.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I haven't seen it for myself yet. Pafixit was with me through the whole install & I'm sure I torqued them. We'll see.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, real sorry to hear. Joe broke the news to us in Chatty. In doing the IP tear down last night, we can see how it could happen. We will have to see how it shakes out.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Still don't have the damn thing back to the house!! -cuss . My "friend" was gonna tow in back here saturday. It's freakin 4th of july. I really needed to get the damn thing off & back to Ken ASAP. This sucks.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well, got home tonite to find the truck in the driveway finally. Had to use the Bronco & the neighbor to tug it out & turn it around so it was facing the garage (hate to walk further than needed to the toolbox). Just have to disconnect the injector lines & mounting bolts & it will come out. The entire front of the pump is cracked between the mounting bolts :eek: . I'll get pictures tommorrow. Looks pretty bad so far.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
hmmmm,wonder if the pump may have had a crack(small not noticable?) in it to begin with from a PO overtightening it and it let go?Or maybe something got sucked between the gear teeth......or something Catastrophic happened internally in the pump and it Hydrolocked and bad things happened outside......Hmmm,let us know since one day I may end up getting my Stage 1 injectors and Turbo pump!GRRRRRRR.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I got the pump out & what I thought was a crack isn't. I do see something else that may be a crack though. I can't tell. Sort of looks like a seam in the casting. However, My IP drive gear (the wheel in the housing with the dowel in it) seems to be loose & wobbling all over the place if I stick my hand in from the back & move it around. Is that normal? I never messed with it when Joe & I installed the pump. I turn the gear on the pump & it doesn't seem to be disconnected. How can I test the shaft of the pump? I don't want to ship it back to Ken @ DPS if I don't have to.

ilpourboy

Reaction score
It is normal to be able to move the IP gear while it is in the housing. Or atleast it is on mine.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
There is a spot machined on the pump drive shaft that is meant to be a breaking point under severe pressure. I don't know what this Ken does to his pumps to get them to be high output, but it may put excessive pressure on the pump shaft and cause it to break...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, sorry we didn't get hooked up on the phone. I'm home today pretty much. Get permission from Ken to open up the side cover (to access the turn up screw) and with the cover removed, you can turn the IP shaft and witness the movement within. If it turns freely, then the shaft isn't broken.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
The only movement there is suposed to be is round and round.If you can rock the gear or move it in and out then something is wrong(A tiny amount of movement is expected though.)

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Took a good look at the gear inside the IP Adapter housing tonite after talking with Mel. All is in good shape there. Took the fuel screw cover off the IP & nothing is turning inside when the shaft is turned by hand. I'm shipping it off to Ken in the AM. Mel, I would like to speak with Ken first but I think I will take you up on the IP loaner. I don't see how Ken will fix this quickly & get it back. When I spoke to him last he didn't have another pump ready yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online