Stranded

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a theory of mine too. It really does "feel" like the batteries perform better being charged by the alternator.
Maybe the battery charger just doesn't put out the actual amps that the alternator does? (So the batteries do not end up with the full CCA that it does when the alt does the charging...)
My guess is that the connector on the back of the switch was barely hanging on enough to sort of work. It switched the gauges, but maybe not the tank. Another clue ,to me, is the odd way that your fuel gauge was working with the key in different positions. I think that It finally fell completely off when you were moving the dash parts around.
Excellent sleuthing! I agree!
is this whole forum having fuel gremlins or what?

glad you got it going
It's funny how if you watch the forum for a while, you'll see things seem to appear in bunches. Everyone suddenly has problems with the windshield washer. Everyone suddenly has problems with the RABS. Everyone suddenly has problems with the parking brake. Or suddenly everyone is trying to figure out the trans shifting problems. Etc

And I don't think that it's just because one person posts about their fuel problems and that 'reminds' others so they suddently post. I think it is just one of those twilight zone kind of coincidences...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
is this whole forum having fuel gremlins or what?
I'm not.
It's funny how if you watch the forum for a while, you'll see things seem to appear in bunches. Everyone suddenly has problems with the windshield washer. Everyone suddenly has problems with the RABS. Everyone suddenly has problems with the parking brake. Or suddenly everyone is trying to figure out the trans shifting problems. Etc
I've noticed this too. I do have to admit that I do not and cannot have RABS problems. It's one of the perks of driving a Bull Nose truck. 20 years ago, it seemed that every truck that had ABS had the light on. I just thought that it was one of those "normal" Ford things like a groaning power steering pump or a very loud electric fuel pump on gas engines.
I think it is just one of those twilight zone kind of coincidences...
That's as good of an explanation as any.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the connector on the back of the switch was barely hanging on enough to sort of work. It switched the gauges, but maybe not the tank. Another clue ,to me, is the odd way that your fuel gauge was working with the key in different positions. I think that It finally fell completely off when you were moving the dash parts around.
As Columbo might say.......there is just one thing we might be missing.......a few months ago, one @Selahdoor found himself dismantling his dash to "look for the source of some smoke" .... isn't this correct,Sir? Upon removeing the instrument cluster, didn't you say you had to "jiggle" something? Can we assume...... maybe... you "jiggled" a little more than you made out?......I think we can conclude that Mr @Selahdoor gotta a little WILD with his "jiggle" and might consider checking the rest of his dash!

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see you post what year your truck is, and whether 430 or 445 cid. You could put that in your profile. The 430/6.9 dual tank system is junk. I know a former Furd dealer service manager who says it was junk from the factory. We remove the switch, the front tank, and run either a deep 60gal rear aftermarket tank, or a 100gal bed tank. The switch can be used for a secret kill switch that only you know about. Or a light bar. etc.

The dual tank system got better sometime during Bricknose (87-91). Maybe somebody else can specify exactly when. But the front tank is still in the way of a decent dual exhaust, so we junk it. Its pickup tube will fail anyway.

Finally, did somebody mention broken off fuel pickup tubes? In all the Aero/Brick/Bullnoses we own in the family, only one of those tanks has not yet suffered a pickup tube broken off part way down.

FYI

Last edited:

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Columbo might say.......there is just one thing we might be missing.......a few months ago, one @Selahdoor found himself dismantling his dash to "look for the source of some smoke" .... isn't this correct,Sir? Upon removeing the instrument cluster, didn't you say you had to "jiggle" something? Can we assume...... maybe... you "jiggled" a little more than you made out?......I think we can conclude that Mr @Selahdoor gotta a little WILD with his "jiggle" and might consider checking the rest of his dash!
Guilty as charged. I have no doubt. When I was younger I was accused of making everything 'gorilla tight' when tightening fasteners. I have always been extra 'dainty' when doing things like dismantling the dash, just because I know my proclivity for not knowing the kind of force I can apply without thinking.

I was careful with the dash. Extra careful, in fact. Because here's the thing.... Someone else, who previously owned the truck had already broken several parts of the dash, when they took it apart. I had to repair it in several places. One of those places was the tank switch. It came completely off the dash, with it's mounting points and all. First time, I glued the mounting points back in place. Last time, I had to glue them back, again, and this time I drilled all the way through them and the dash, and now have screws on the front of the dash that go all the way through, with nuts and washers, that actually hold the switch in. Switch is not going anywhere, ever again.

But that connector.... I'll replace that, if this happens again. I'll certainly be paying attention to the situation.
I didn't see you post what year your truck is, and whether 430 or 445 cid. You could put that in your profile. The 430/6.9 dual tank system is junk. I know a former Furd dealer service manager who says it was junk from the factory. We remove the switch, the front tank, and run either a deep 60gal rear aftermarket tank, or a 100gal bed tank. The switch can be used for a secret kill switch that only you know about. Or a light bar. etc.

The dual tank system got better sometime during Bricknose (87-91). Maybe somebody else can specify exactly when. But the front tank is still in the way of a decent dual exhaust, so we junk it. It's pickup tube will fail anyway.

Finally, did somebody mention broken off fuel pickup tubes? In all the Aero/Brick/Bullnoses we own in the family, only one of those tanks has not yet suffered a pickup tube broken off part way down.

FYI
All that info is in my signature.

And the 'system' was eliminated in favor of just the dash switch, early in this thread. :)

My rear tank is new. Less than 3 years old. I am assuming everything is standard in that one. It was done by a shop. I suppose I'll have to replace the showerhead in 30 years... LOL

I replaced the front tank less than a year ago. On the front, I eliminated the shower head.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that info is in my signature.

And the 'system' was eliminated in favor of just the dash switch, early in this thread. :)

My rear tank is new. Less than 3 years old. I am assuming everything is standard in that one. It was done by a shop. I suppose I'll have to replace the showerhead in 30 years... LOL

I replaced the front tank less than a year ago. On the front, I eliminated the shower head.

Ah, the android trap. No sigs displayed there. Must be your 92.

Say, did you say showerhead? I have yet to see one on an OBS. Must be the later years. We only have one non-parts Aeronose and that son does all his own wrenching, is a pro. SD showerheads are good for only 10 years in my book, then they start breaking down due to AlGore diesel. After that you might as well toss in a new one, and eliminate the silly little filter down there too. Given my druthers, I'd just install a Riff Raff fuel pickup on a SD. FYI

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guilty as charged. I have no doubt. When I was younger I was accused of making everything 'gorilla tight' when tightening fasteners. I have always been extra 'dainty' when doing things like dismantling the dash, just because I know my proclivity for not knowing the kind of force I can apply without thinking.
I have to be dainty too. I have broken waayyyy too many bolts off.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Say, did you say showerhead? I have yet to see one on an OBS. Must be the later years. We only have one non-parts Aeronose and that son does all his own wrenching, is a pro. SD showerheads are good for only 10 years in my book, then they start breaking down due to AlGore diesel. After that you might as well toss in a new one, and eliminate the silly little filter down there too. Given my druthers, I'd just install a Riff Raff fuel pickup on a SD. FYI
Yep. The 92.

On the front tank, I skipped everything. Just put a vinyl tube on the pickup. with a brass tee on the end of it. Experimented, looking through the filler hole, while setting the pickup back in the tank, until I got it to where the tee sits perfectly on the floor of the tank.

Tank is clean. Any sediment that it gets in it will come via the filler neck, during fillups. I don't see any point in an in-tank filter for that. All that stuff gets caught by the big filter on the engine.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Technically off topic but...

On my phone if you turn it sideways it will show the signatures under the posts.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online