1st Bronco Diesel conversion...starts here!....FINALLY..

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you do the coolant and whatnot once its all in the bronco though?.......or are you dropping the engine and rad at the same time?

btw want to sell me those steelies on your donor rig?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you do the coolant and whatnot once its all in the bronco though?.......or are you dropping the engine and rad at the same time?

btw want to sell me those steelies on your donor rig?

I want to flush the system because the rad can be sold or traded and I'd like to be able to say it is clean and have it be clean.

Also I am working on all the prep of flushing etc over next month with the engine in the white rhino and making sure it's a decent runner prior to install.

The rims...heck I got about 12 down here so ya I can sell some...u coming to pick them up?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the car wash, used Purple Power to degrease the white rhino engine (left air filter housing on) and came away quite pleased overall with the result, though it was getting dark. Well this AM I looked and decided one more shot, this time NO air filter housing:eek:cookoo DON"T worry, I took a turbo engine's hershey Kiss and taped the opening closed and bolted that to the intake to seal it!;Sweet

Again I sprayed the engine and wiring harness down really good with the Purple Power and let sit whilst I washed the rear diff off and some of the frame along with the front diff. I then proceeded to do the engine...and much to my chagrin :D I do think it turned out rather well! The results speak for themselves...whatcha think?

You must be registered for see images attach

When I took off the hershey kiss, there was no water in the intake and I was pleased as the engine was much cleaner than previous.

Now today, work on some more tail lights and the oil change for the engine! That leaves a coolant flush and that's about it that I can do externally or internally for now.

I'll be ordering a new clutch slave cyl the metal one and a new MC and installing both when I am transferring the engine trans to the Bronco.

Woot!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be coming down to van in june or july, if I do ill be sure to drop by and see what other goodies you have to offer

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So THAT'S what a clean engine looks like! I thought a greasy layer was required, I may have to look into this on my own...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely detest working on grungy *****! That's what makes doing this swap this way soooooo Nice, run this find the leaks NOW if any and when pulling engine, repair as required! ha ha!

Now this evening I began to pull the engine harness out of my red rhino which as an ATS turbo system in it as well, this is what ***** I have to deal with....ugh...
not impressed but eh...a turbo is a turbo right...so got air box off along with the hershey kiss...I'll be getting under tomorrow to check out the up pipe/down pipes and see about removing them. This will give me a turbo for transplant TOO!!!! LOL

So between two engines on the ground here ONE a known good runner the other my factory TURBO core at my place and two running engines, in two trucks one 4x4 zf one 2x zf I just ought to be able to get my swap done!

Checked out my steel laying around:sly and it appears I have what could be said as sufficient to box the front of my frame to add front mount spring shackle pivots like on saaaay a 79 F250 4x that I happen to have so I can do a RSK and mount one of my two Dana 60's!

My god, this is just way too easy it seams..OH *****-cuss I gotta find me some 315x75x16's or up too 37" tyres that's the kicker! *****!

I'll keep posting as I go..Woot!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when washing these engines... make sure your valley pan drain is clear, and that your CDR grommet is not cracked or loose. Otherwise.... you'll be dumping water down into the crankcase.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when washing these engines... make sure your valley pan drain is clear, and that your CDR grommet is not cracked or loose. Otherwise.... you'll be dumping water down into the crankcase.

Mel, you bring up a great point here, and thus the reason for the wash then oil change plan.

Cause well....well...I looked back there and um...um...ya ok It was a crap shoot...rolled the dice an I won! The whole valley pan as the rest of the truck is covered with sawdust and oil and dirt and all kinds of HORBAGE that Just may it nigh impossible to deal with. After washing the front, and seeing how well it was sealed I rolled the dice!

Seriously it was inches thick in sawdust and gooey horbage that had to come out. I cleared as much as I could when I did the rear return line with AIR and blasted and blasted all kinds of Schmeg out of the rear portion. I did ubolt the CDR and wiggle it as an attempt to check seal and it was very well stuck! Good sign so I bolted it back on to the truck and kept on with my plan!

Today or tomorrow oil change day, it pissed rain last night and could be more so today thus negating me crawling under the red rhino for exhaust work.

I'll keep this post alive lots more pics to come for sure!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And...I now bring to you....one engine less a turbo and what a mess it was...horbage and schmeg everywhere including all over me! This is the reason to keep yer ***** clean I tell ya!

That being said, it's now Beer O clock here for me!

I pulled the entire turbo off the red rhino today, only thing left is LH valve cover for the CDR adapter that this setup uses...hmm...road draft tube anyone..dunno yet

With airbox off clearly it's a mess...ugh!

Without turbo...daaaamn that's messy!

down the intake

inside turbo

back of engine...yeeeeeesh! This is *****!

kit on shop floor!

tag on turbo

my unmolested Bronco fire wall that is soon to be molested significantly
This is

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My diesel Bronco is an '86 and I've been driving it almost 2 years with a few bugs I'm working out. I didn't pull the front clip. I did have to change the core support to use the diesel radiator. I'm running a 6.9, zf5, & 1345 t-case. My donors were F250's. I used the crossmember out of my truck. I did make 2 inch spacers to lower it beneath the frame. I used the original Bronco rear driveshaft. I wanted to use the 4.10 axles out of the other donor truck. I also swapped the engine crossmember into the Bronco too. I didn't think the oil pan would clear the Bronco crossmember. Fuel system was easy for me since my Bronco had a carb. I used the fuel line from the rear tank on my truck and it just hooked right on to the Bronco tank. Then I cut the line behind the tank selector valve and ran a rubber line to the diesel steel line that mounts to the crossmember. For the return, I brazed a 5/16" nipple onto the filler neck and ran another rubber line up to the engine. I've had a lot of comments, all positive ones.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My diesel Bronco is an '86 and I've been driving it almost 2 years with a few bugs I'm working out. I didn't pull the front clip. I did have to change the core support to use the diesel radiator. I'm running a 6.9, zf5, & 1345 t-case. My donors were F250's. I used the crossmember out of my truck. I did make 2 inch spacers to lower it beneath the frame. I used the original Bronco rear driveshaft. I wanted to use the 4.10 axles out of the other donor truck. I also swapped the engine crossmember into the Bronco too. I didn't think the oil pan would clear the Bronco crossmember. Fuel system was easy for me since my Bronco had a carb. I used the fuel line from the rear tank on my truck and it just hooked right on to the Bronco tank. Then I cut the line behind the tank selector valve and ran a rubber line to the diesel steel line that mounts to the crossmember. For the return, I brazed a 5/16" nipple onto the filler neck and ran another rubber line up to the engine. I've had a lot of comments, all positive ones.
You have provided me some food for thought on my project and for that Thank you. The fuel lines have been a bit of concern, I'll be working that through soon enough.

Sounds to me like you have a good setup going. How bout some pics? Love to see what ya got!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So was wondering why the donor truck didnt have wipers that worked even though the glass is ***** I wanted the wipers to work. Well low and behold this is what I found...now to get a replacement wiper motor and trans...

inside the cowl ...

MOST OF WHAT I GOT OUT....LOL too funny...

Whatcha guys think...just a little plugged? I think the motor is burned out as it won't work though could be switch...LOL...hard to say at this point

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So THATs what happens when you don't keep that area clean!