1st Bronco Diesel conversion...starts here!....FINALLY..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So last night I phoned the prospective purchaser of my engine and transmission and related starters and such, he confirmed arriving Wednesday for p/u of said parts.

This project of getting a diesel Bronco has been a 6 year undertaking of collecting info and bending Mel's ear...so to speak..more like his fingers for the keyboard...Thanks again Mel!!!;Sweet Along with many members here have I also bent fingers/ears. Gary, Russ, Darren to name just a few all of you thanks!;Sweet

So with out further ado...Kaleb...KanadianCC4x4 came over today and in about an hour we tore off the clip..

You must be registered for see images attach

and with that completed I'll be continuing shortly.

I'll get the drive shafts pulled, the assorted lower wiring and lines disconnected. Also I'll be dropping the transfer case and the transmission cross member and exhaust and starter and undoing the fuel lines and motor mounts in prep for the tractor coming by on Wed to pull engine.

Unfortunately, :dunno I had some problems with my Shop door...:mad::confused: and it's not rolling up...cable came undone and spring seems screwy for one side, thus I am doing this OUT SIDE AGAIN-cuss-cuss

Anyway, pull the engine, pop the mounts of the cross member and get the diesel mounts fabbed to the Bronco x member no fill hole for now...got some other ideas...shorten 1 ton frame...or continue with my bare frame buildup!

nuff for now...6 years...wow...the reason I joined this site was MEL's Bronco...did that google search led me here and voila....been a fun ride!:dunno:slycookoo:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you are doing all that extra work? I'd leave the driveshafts hooked up, leave the transfer case under there (just strap it up), and don't bother with the crossmember. All that stuff stays where it is (or should I'd think. It did in the Moosestang. By the way, the Moosestang is getting 24MPG with 3.08 rear and ZF-5.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you are doing all that extra work? I'd leave the driveshafts hooked up, leave the transfer case under there (just strap it up), and don't bother with the crossmember. All that stuff stays where it is (or should I'd think. It did in the Moosestang. By the way, the Moosestang is getting 24MPG with 3.08 rear and ZF-5.

You have a valid point Mel with leaving the tcase hooked up. I just may do that! How ever, I'll be sending the cross member with the trans/engine as the fellow is converting from an auto to a manual. This provides him his needed parts...

Bronco has 3:55 gears here and the ZF in the diesel makes an easy swap, I'll be getting the cross member from that truck...I' still unsure how to go about dealing with the fuel lines and pump..LOL

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my case i had to actually move my trans mount back about an inch. the 2 smaller pieces of the trans mount didnt line up *they go from top part of frame to the crossmember* i have a pic here if i can figure out how to post it.

The lower part of the frame rail had a hole that lined up perfect, but the top part isnt drilled out... i still need to drill them 2 holes... not sure that you *need* the extra parts on the mount, but they were there with my 302/aod assume you need them now too :D

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my case i had to actually move my trans mount back about an inch. the 2 smaller pieces of the trans mount didnt line up *they go from top part of frame to the crossmember* i have a pic here if i can figure out how to post it.

The lower part of the frame rail had a hole that lined up perfect, but the top part isnt drilled out... i still need to drill them 2 holes... not sure that you *need* the extra parts on the mount, but they were there with my 302/aod assume you need them now too :D

When I converted to the ZF I got the crossmember with it, I had to drill all the holes about an inch back. That really was a PITA...but it's done. I won't be needing much other than new belts, fluids etc.

The swap should go well, I hope it's as simple as the RE n RE I did from 5.0 to 5.8....done lots of swaps of various types so I can think on my feet...LOL

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha! your lucky, still trying to decide how to drill mine as i cant get a drill in there, and dont really want to torch the holes. Have fun with your swap, ill be checking back for updates!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotcha! your lucky, still trying to decide how to drill mine as i cant get a drill in there, and dont really want to torch the holes. Have fun with your swap, ill be checking back for updates!
I have a small 3/8" right angle drill...I used a titanium step drill...punched the holes best I could, used dremel to finish em! was simplest!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only one wing on a ZF 4x cross member the other side droops down then around the outside of the frame and bolts to the vertical portion on the outside edge!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a small update, got all but Tcase undone and crossmember un bolted...do that tomorrow in cooler AM

Mel, I'll be pulling the tcase as I see a seal issue and bench re sealing is easier, I will however leave the drive shafts connected to axles to lessen the time spent unbolting *****...besides thar be LOCKTIGHT on them thar bolts... LOL

This still leaves my dilemma of fueling the diesel...hmmm...use the stock HP tank pump? OR....OR....NOT...and that means dropping the tank....NOT a nice job and pulling it out and fiddling with the damn pickup tube etc.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn it, I wanted to be the first one. Ill get to mine in July.

There has been a few on this board, this is MY first one and suspect it will not be my last...ifn I could, I'd find a kitty Cat 6cyl and go that route....but this is simplest for sure!

So today dropped the tcase, tied up the drive shafts, dropped cross member

Now that leaves the winch bumper and MC to come out as I said I won't open a working master slave setup...if it aint broke...DONT FREAKIN BREAK IT...open!!!!!!

I am about as excited as a young boy on his first date I tell ya, I just cannot tell ya how hard it is waiting over the next few days...ugh!!!!!! and I got so much SAR stuff to take care of over the next month...ugh!!!!

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first time you fire it up, and everything actually works... you will lose your *young boy on his first date* feeling... turns into more of a... *o yeah, popped that hotties cherry* feeling :)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome work man! The diesel Bronc is becoming a big hit round here (and for good reason....... they're freak'n cool).

Keep the updates coming. Sure wish we could see that rig at the Rally in July.

Heath