1st Bronco Diesel conversion...starts here!....FINALLY..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well until I pull the engine there is not much left to do, I want to start body work soon too, gotta get my silly "$50.00 mig working better"...if that can actually happen.

So now I pulled the MC for clutch, the small block ZF has an internal slave for the clutch, so keeps it trim when pulling. I also got that heavy ass winch setup off the truck by myself..ugh

You must be registered for see images attach

Neighbor is coming by tomorrow to flip the engine out, I'll have some pallets to place it on and tie it too. That way I can load the pallet onto the fellows trailer when he shows tomorrow as well.

So doing not bad....paid 600 for white elephant sold 300 worth off it and kept 1 ton axles front and rear....springs and spring mounts along with shock mounts and a set of wheels. Used that engine and trans installed in Bronco, now sold that engine trans for 800! so 500 ahead...next I need to come up with a couple hun more...offer 800 for the white Rhino that is the new donor truck...if the bite...good, if not I get it for 1000. Have potential sale of the service box off that truck for 500, that makes me 300 up and another set of one ton axles, and a 198.8?? Kilometer engine trans for the Bronco...ya bout a 125K milles...not too bad:D!

Should be able to come out smelling like a rose on this one....n Me Wife Rose...she just shakes her head:rolleyes: and says...what ever....*****

ONE THING THAT CAME TO MIND:sly.... take my serp belt bracket for IDI and my (Van gasser saginaw bracket) and see if I can get someome to either cut and weld the two together or fab an adapter plate and thus get my SAGINAW conversion done too..then I can work on custom lines for it as well...;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my day goes something like this today....

Wake up, coffee...go out check truck all set , got pallet ready

come in bout 1/2 hour goes by...phone rang off hook while I was out, we have a SAR callout, call all those whom called me to explain I cannot attend the call, I have too much to do! OK no worries!

talk to neighbor about the engine pull, he says maybe in hour or two...no problem to do it this morning though, some time....great!

Go finish the last small details...of chain rigging for balance etc, one last check all is disconnected! Back in the house....

Have a 2nd coffee...whilst dealing with a constitutional...efn neighbor knocks on door....come in I yell he tells me now is good time to pull engine he is ready....explaine my predicament and I'll be right out...this is about 20 mins since I last talked to him...finish the job at hand and paper work...ugh...

Go pull engine, takes 5 mins and wow..so simple...amazing almost like I knew what to do.... contact buyer, he's still ON for sure!

Ok so make calls, can be used on callout for SAR still...

Package engine on pallet with HD high tensile wire...(read ***** to work with n cut)

drive wifes car...no plates to her work..pick up ranger pu, come home get my gear go to town, eat go to SAR callout base, sit n sit n sit...SAR means Sit and Rest...not search n rescue!

finally get tasked...15:45...go do the grid search as much as I can...deal with people who 1 is deaf and using the compas on the GPS, cannot read a compass or follow a bearing ...as well as a second party unable to follow a compass bearing, good thing I can teach a compass course in 25 seconds or less...get the lines back on track...ok now we finish this grid...now back to start point..oh wait now it's 16:52 I need to get back to command..and home...well over an hour away...the purchaser while I was on task sent a txt...on his way!

Drive home...get tractor fired...wow it worked..topped up power steering and wow...now it steers easy!

Wait a bit and cannot go to SAR hall for practice cause guy is showing up...***** He shows up...exstatic about how well packed it is, how good it appears and how complete this is for his E4OD to ZF swap...loving it.

Load it...while loading wifey calls...ranger pulling hard to one side may not make it home...this while I am atempting to load the engine on a new Hemi 1/2 ton with a beat up POS tractor...not good cell n tractor op!...

Told her deal with it...

She arrives safe...someone efed a hub in LOC and she got it unlocked...dunno who did that was fine when I drove it earlier????

So that's been my day...OH YA almost forgot...when home I discover this...I lost a brand new fawking radio MY OWN while on the call out so I am having to replace my own walkie talkie VHF...ugh!

Now it's chips n dip n wife has eatin the whole bowl of dip...fawk!

Now isnt she sweet she brought me some HOT dip...love you HON! yer the best..thanks!

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a cool mod!
I found a bullnose bronco w/a 6.9 around denver on craigslist a few months ago but the guy never would reply to my emails or phone calls....man I wanted that thing bad. I cant wait to see how your rig turns out

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so I got both of the gas engine mounts off the cross member, very simple because of the fact they were bolted in place not riveted. I then drilled two lower holes for the drivers side diesel motor mount. This was simple enough to do, bolt the plate for the mount down then mark the holes and drill them.

The cross member plates and the actual motor mounts will be getting a nice sand blast treatment and a fresh coat of paint, then baked in the oven for a few minutes to cook/cure the paint.

One thing I ran into today was when I trial fit my diesel rad support, it wouldn't fit correctly. It lands right on top of the front suspensions sway bar. It will not go down far enough I need about 3" of drop of the sway bar to clear the rad support.

Mel, did you run into this problem? Likely not, if you are using the short wide rad, I wont be I'll be using the tall narrow one. Crap! Crap! Crap!.

Perhaps with the weight of the diesel, I'll be able to eliminate the sway bar...anyone????

Still hammering the fuel delivery system around in my head. I have to establish what will work for me with my current goals of eliminating the factory lift pump and getting an electric to work, be it the stock in tank unit of a stand alone, holley or carrier style.

Ordered 3 - 2 micron Racor filters today for my Racor FG 500, then next is a couple of stock filters and some power stroke oil filters as well.

Next is some time with a pressure washer on the frame and front suspension again to get it cleaner than it is and easier to work upon.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this the Bronco you posted a video, while back??
This looks good.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
One thing I ran into today was when I trial fit my diesel rad support, it wouldn't fit correctly. It lands right on top of the front suspensions sway bar. It will not go down far enough I need about 3" of drop of the sway bar to clear the rad support.

Mel, did you run into this problem? Likely not, if you are using the short wide rad, I wont be I'll be using the tall narrow one. Crap! Crap! Crap!.

Perhaps with the weight of the diesel, I'll be able to eliminate the sway bar...anyone????

Awesome progress you are making!
Not sure on the Bronco's= my F-350 sway bar is about 3" in front of the radiator- in fact, I was able to squeeze a water/air intercooler in that space. Maybe the sway bar off of a truck is different than the Broncs?

Loving your description of your day! Sounds like about how mine goes when really pushing on a project. Keep up the good work.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Awesome progress you are making!
Not sure on the Bronco's= my F-350 sway bar is about 3" in front of the radiator- in fact, I was able to squeeze a water/air intercooler in that space. Maybe the sway bar off of a truck is different than the Broncs?

Loving your description of your day! Sounds like about how mine goes when really pushing on a project. Keep up the good work.

That---^ at least on the 92-96s they are. Possibility?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to keep my sway bar setup, but im using a nice non-tall aluminum 4 core radiator, so i didnt have any issues with it :)

my F250 parts truck didnt have a sway bar, but the couple F350s i was looking at to be my parts truck did... maybe on the TTB *D50* they didnt use them?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, wife got home from work....hands me cash...says lets go get this thing and get your truck on the road! Um...ok who am I to argue with this logic? Anyone of you likely wouldn't have either....

So without further addoo, I introduce my newest member to the Ford family fondly named this time White Rhino! photo taken out my living room window!

So now I'd best get my backside in gear n gitter done! I'll be calling in some favors for sure!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today, I take and work on the donor truck! Just working on getting the engine running decent prior to actually installing it into my Bronco! May as well work out the kinks NOW!

So one thing that was sucking...or not....was the EXTREMELY restrictive spark arrestor tail pipe!
Here it is standing in all the glory!

Next as you can see I had scraped of some carbon and noticed then that there where more than one set of baffles with the holes, and if you look close you can see that one was already removed at some previous time.

Now look inside this dog's breakfast of a device...OMG look how plugged this is, I gotta get some Auto-RX and clean out the engine for sure!!!!

Ya can you say plugged!

After this I moved on to the engine, to which I got a new fuel filter! This was what the bottom portion looked like...Yay...

New return line hose, and a whole bunch of O rings! I then worked the afternoon through taking several breaks to get the return lines all redone!

I have ordered a coolant filter to which I'll install as well!

Next is oil change and I'll have to wait to order Auto RX but I will for sure!

anyway thats enough for now as my special woman..Rose whom you all recognize from behind! has made us a wonderful pasta dinner! Man I am a luck SOB!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...this truck has been a beast an absolute beast to start previously...LOL

This morning I go out, watch the WTS light, turn key and Varoom.....diesel fired right up! Just awesome the difference those return lines and a few O rings make! Now onto cleaning the engine off more, prep for oil change and Auto-RX

Just a quick update!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took out my Kent Moore Tach n Time I got off ebay!...

Daaaamn....timing shows 6.5 deg @ 2076 RPM...seems I gotta bump it up a wee bit...

Since the return lines looked original, I suspect the pump and injectors are too. That would indicate, get it running well, and MOOSERIZE it once I know it's all good! As well as Turbo!