1994 stock turbo rebuild help!

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the site, new to the truck, I am 16 and have basic mechanical experiance, bought this truck for super cheap, but needs alot of help. Bought a turbo rebuild kit but need help with taking it off, rebuilding, and instalation.
-Will

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
About the turbo rebuilding.
Go to the message center, click compose, type "typ4" into the recipient box, type your message, then hit send.

If you know what turbo it is, that'll help someone help you on the removal process.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start searching the forum for removal, and the internet for rebuilding info. And have fun, rusty bolts are not your friend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Generally speaking the 94 trucks have the ATS turbo on them. They can be tuff to remove but PD Blaster or Aerokroil penetrate is your friend. My suggestion is to get a spray can of either one. then for 2 or three days wet down the bolts on the turbo. Run the engine as normal. When you shut down the engine wait about an hour and wet down the bolts again. As things cool down the penetrant is sucked into the bolts and threads. This being your first rebuild I suggest you have someone there thats done it so you don't ruin any parts. Main thing is mke sure the spinning parts get balanced. That turbo fan shaft spins as fast as 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 rpm per second.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember, when you have it rebuilt and installed. Fill or crank the engine over (with out starting) until the oil feed line is full, or the bearings will be shot in about 10 seconds. Leave the line disconnected until oil runs out.

Put all your truck info in your signature. Go to setting, top of page, Edit signature.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=rebuilding+a+truck+turbo&fr=chr-tyc-sc

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Dont take this the wrong way, but how do you know the turbo needs to be rebuilt ?

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I planned on some pb blaster, I don't know anyone who has done it before.. How do you re balance everything? And the truck has over 210k and has been thrashed by some kid, just about everything leaks oil (including a head gasket I think but it starts/runs great so not to worries yet) and there is oil coming the oil lines and i believe there is oil in he intake, i think thats why the smoke smells like oil.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks! this is my first diesel truck project, plan to have fun!

You will not have fun taking the turbo off. I did that when I got my old truck. Removing the turbo from the up-pipe is a huge pain in the ass, some of the nuts you can only turn a 1/4 turn at a time and everything is rusty. And you will never get the exhaust elbow off the turbine housing. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to put tiny 10mm 12-point bolt heads on an 8mm bolt. Fortunately you don't have to do that for a rebuild.

I would recommend buying a 13mm wrench with a six-point box end for the turbo to up-pipe bolts. You will need it to break them loose without rounding them off.

Also, I rebuilt the turbo on mine myself (just new bearings and seals), but I had prior experience with turbos. I didn't get it rebalanced, and it was fine for the rest of the 4 years I owned the truck until I sold it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure, since your 16, and I was 16 once, that your going to do this yourself. I'm also sure what I write here isn't going to be heeded, but let me just tell you, that since I do run a company that rebuilds turbos.... 9 out of every 10 turbo kits we sell, come back to us as a turbo that is in really bad shape and usually no longer rebuild able.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will do that for sure! The PB blast should help to! And yup, doing it without help, parents are not car people, I bought the truck and did all the paperwork, and I am getting it back into shape as well. What are some things to look for if its just a destroyed turbo? Not worth rebuilding?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Telling you your turbo is shot and worthless from this side of the screen is impossible. Pics will help but clearly you need some help. Tell us where you live and maybe a member is close enough and willing to help with advise but no hands on. Me is in the right when he speaks of owners doing their own rebuilds and then its a pos not worth rebuilding. What I can tell you is if the intake turbo aluminum wheel has rubbed the aluminum housing your in for a costly rebuild. Reason for this is that housing needs to be specially machined to keep the curve in it. then the turbo wheel needs to be cut to match. Thats tuff machine work. As for balancing. Just have it done. At the speeds these turbos spin a micro graham difference in balance means alot. Pay no attention to this FREE advise and we will probably see you here later asking more rebuild questions. Can you get lucky and not need a balance shot.. Yes. But do you feel lucky. When you tell us a kid owned this and thrashed it.. I'm kind of wondering bout that. Your 16 so how much younger was the other guy... What condition is the engine in. the 200,000 miles is not bad but if the oil was not changed or no air filter used then your looking at some issues like chipped turbo fan blades on the intake and ingestion of dirts wearing out the rings and the rest of the engine.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I live out of Sisters, Oregon (20min from Bend or Redmond) and by kid I mean just another redneck in highschool( oil pan is dented flywheel cover is missing, looks like he beat it up) oil is a mess, black, and leaks everywhere. Like a said I think a head gasket is blown too. To add photos just put links like from imgur or something?