1994 stock turbo rebuild help!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't see anything regarding your turbo being bad specifically - does it have excessive shaft play? Any gouges in the inside where the blade is, chunks of blade missing or dings? Your hat being off means you were building no boost, turbo could be fine

black oil with the IDI is perfectly normal. You can do a fresh oil change and dump the fresh oil and it'll probably be black :angel:
For oil filter upgrades, alot of guys use the FL-1995 oil filter - its for a power stroke but fits ours too.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo as some play for sure but it does not seem to rub and it spins well, bearings feel smooth. Putting that hat on sure made a huge difference in power!! Haha I could tell it was on! The oil is milky (brand new) not sure if that means diesel or antifreeze. It leaks a lot of oil so that could mean my oil coolers bad right?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these pigs leak oil a lot. Milky would hopefully be either head gaskets or oil cooler. Could be cavitation but hopefully not on a 94.

Oil pan could also be leaking too contributing to the mess, see if it has a cork gasket. if it does then you will have to take it off, clean it, and use only RTV no cork.

These are great engines after you work out the problems left by bad owners :thumbsup:

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs like a champ, started right up when no joke it was -10. I don't see oil in the radiator or bubbles coming up so I don't think its cavitation. It blows a lot of blue smoke when idles or crusing on the road, black and a lot of it if you stepped on it. So that may help you with some idea haha.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video is Private, can't watch.

Blue smoke before adding the CDR back in means oil is burning if it doesn't ever go away, could be stuck rings causing it. Lots of black is over-fueling or air restriction.

I think Auto RX is the potion recommended around here for freeing up rings and cleaning up the oiling system.

Give this a read, some of its directly related some is just useful to know. Read the archives too:
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi2.htm
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm