1994 Ford Cummins conversion

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
Thanks,
I am about 40 miles north of KC. I need to post some more pictures, but I have been slacking, I now have an 11 day old son!;Sweet

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live just outside of branson, if you are ever down here let me know. i think the truck will be cheaper than the kid :) haha

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
So... ... ... havent had a regular up date there ncovy!!! hows the swap going?... and merry x-mas, happy new year to ya...

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I am about 40 miles north of KC. I need to post some more pictures, but I have been slacking, I now have an 11 day old son!;Sweet
Partial owner in a house in Jameson, when Dad died, he left us his mobile... More of a storage shed on wheels, but nonetheless.. should life ever kick me to where a bridge looks like home.. I have one.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

My boy is 2 1/2 mos old so I know where you're coming from. Most of my projects have taken an abrupt halt so I can be Daddy. Which should explain why most of my posts are made in the middle of the night.

Incredible truck, by the way. I've never been a fan of white vehicles but I could make an exception here...

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, I have been pretty busy with the holidays and the little one. I will try to get you up to speed in the next few days.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice swap. Only thing I can see that might be an issue is your 3G mount. That long of an unsupported belt span is likely going to whip like mad at low RPM.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
That red will make it at least 5mph faster, in front of the MHP radar. LMAO! Ok so it wasn't that funny. I got a crew cab 97 460 that's about to get a 91&1/2 12V. Did you use the ford tranny? if so what adapter and how much? That's a damn sweet set-up w/the twins and all. You're taken all the excuses I made for not doing mine yet away. I live about an hour &1/2 S of KC, maybe I could see yours in person, I'll bring the beer.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it helps I just swapped my 89 F350. I used a 92 VE 12 valve, they're all the same regardless, but that's what I used. I used Scott's Destroked 12V-ZF5 plate and 6.0 starter. Ran $900 even to my door. I bought the 92 dodge 4x4 for $1000. Sold the front and rear for $900, the trans and t-case for $600, scrapped the truck for $37 and sold the old 7.3 for $600. I made $237 putting the Cummins into my Ford.

I put a Bendix air brake compressor with high pressure ZF power steering pump and a 3G alternator on the 5.9 at the same time and converted the truck to hydroboost. I used the radiator, intercooler and tubes from a 98 F800 with a 5.9 Cummins.

I've turned up the fuel and installed a 3200 governor spring in the pump. Already it's twice the power and 50% better mileage of the 7.3 and I'm still running the crap 21.5CM turbine housing and crinkle bend 3" dodge exhaust. In the next few weeks I plan to add a BHAF, mechanical control HE351VE VGT turbo and 4" exhaust with a straight through muffler.

I still have to find a small electric vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the heater controls, but that's minor.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
If it helps I just swapped my 89 F350. I used a 92 VE 12 valve, they're all the same regardless, but that's what I used. I used Scott's Destroked 12V-ZF5 plate and 6.0 starter. Ran $900 even to my door. I bought the 92 dodge 4x4 for $1000. Sold the front and rear for $900, the trans and t-case for $600, scrapped the truck for $37 and sold the old 7.3 for $600. I made $237 putting the Cummins into my Ford.

I put a Bendix air brake compressor with high pressure ZF power steering pump and a 3G alternator on the 5.9 at the same time and converted the truck to hydroboost. I used the radiator, intercooler and tubes from a 98 F800 with a 5.9 Cummins.

I've turned up the fuel and installed a 3200 governor spring in the pump. Already it's twice the power and 50% better mileage of the 7.3 and I'm still running the crap 21.5CM turbine housing and crinkle bend 3" dodge exhaust. In the next few weeks I plan to add a BHAF, mechanical control HE351VE VGT turbo and 4" exhaust with a straight through muffler.

I still have to find a small electric vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the heater controls, but that's minor.

My Avatar is of a project PSD/ZF5spd I bought for $500. The truck I'm doing the swap in is a 97 CrewCab 460/4aod. I'd like to keep the trans but am still getting prices. I've been on DESTROKED and the adapter is $800 + a starter and flywheel. I'm trying to stay dirt cheap, my doner is a mess and will only hve a few parts to sell. It runs gret though, I was cutting donuts w/it yesterday with the frontend hanging by a thread.

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
That red will make it at least 5mph faster, in front of the MHP radar. LMAO! Ok so it wasn't that funny. I got a crew cab 97 460 that's about to get a 91&1/2 12V. Did you use the ford tranny? if so what adapter and how much? That's a damn sweet set-up w/the twins and all. You're taken all the excuses I made for not doing mine yet away. I live about an hour &1/2 S of KC, maybe I could see yours in person, I'll bring the beer.

Thanks for the compliments! I just went with Cummins red to mess with peoples heads a little more. I used the NV4500 from a dodge diesel. Heavier transmission and alot easier due to the fact that I didn't have to use a adapter.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments! I just went with Cummins red to mess with peoples heads a little more. I used the NV4500 from a dodge diesel. Heavier transmission and alot easier due to the fact that I didn't have to use a adapter.

I've got a Auto Ford and an AOD tranny behind the Cummins. My bigest prob is finding a way to keep the speedo. Any sug?:dunno

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 97 runs the speedo off the tone ring in the rear axle like every other 92 and newer ford.

The NV4500 is not a heavier tranny than the ZF. Internally the parts are about the same size. The ZF is built with modern technology while the NV4500 is 1950's technology. The Ford diesel ZF 5 speed and the Cummins NV4500 both had an 8 year production life so there's likely pretty close to the same number of each out there. I see far more banged up NV4500's than ZF's. Another plug for ZF's is you can actually buy good OE ZF parts for ZF transmissions. New Venture has been dead and gone since 2002. Every NV part out there sans Dan's Torque King stuff is made in India or China.

The NV4500 has pretty poor ratios for a diesel too. The NV4500 is a 4 speed OD. The ZF is a close ratio 5 speed. Big difference in function.