1994 Chev G30 6.5L- turboed or not???

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1995 Chev 1 Ton Van- 6.5L diesel Q's

Okay, redoing the post.....

Found out that most 6.5L in van's are N/A. Now, my question is, is a 6.5L that has 200K miles on it, what's to look for? Shopping for a buddy, and found one that's cheap. Seller says it is a former Pepsi van and he bought it from them. So I'm 'assuming' that it had fairly descent maintenance since it was a feet rig.

But what are the concerns with the 6.5... I know nothing about them...

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got the van for my friend (95 G3500). Drove it home last night (240 miles) and it ran like a champ even w/ 200K miles on it. It used up about 13/14 gallons I would guess (we filled it up at half talk, took about 15gal). So it's getting about 18ish-MPG unloaded at 70-75MPH. One thing that I liked was it was a fleet rig bought by one of the workers.

Sat in the drive way for about 7 hours (got home near 1am) and it fired right up this morning. I didn't know where the GP indicator light was in the dash.... I didn't see it light up (must have been warm enough after 7 hours still- only go in to the low 60's last night I think).

Kind of drove smoother then I thought it would (G3500) and better then my Fords :eek:. I guess it's because of the A arm suspension vs the twin beam.... lower front end seemed to make it less wind blown.... I think.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The 6.2/6.5s are not bad engines, just like the 6.9/7.3s after 100k miles freshen up the fuel injection system (they use the same major components). The electronic DS4 pumps need to have the PDM relocated with a kit so it doesn't overheat and stall. Do the glowplugs and controller. Heath Diesel and Kennedy Diesel have the parts and upgrades for these engines. These engines do not like to be overheated, they will pop the headgaskets. Make sure that the cooling system is in proper order, and convert over to Evans Coolant. Eliminates hot spots, equalizes the temp inside the motor, lasts for 10 years.
Check the timing chain for excessive stretch and replace because the injection timing will get thrown off. Aside of that, they are good motors that will go a long time if taken care of properly.
I agree with you about the suspension between the Ford and Chevy; I like the Ford frame, but the steering and handling is for the birds. The GMs feel like sport cars by comparison.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

Being a fleet rig, I think this 'may' have had the injectors and pump done sometime after it went over 100,000 miles (heck, maybe even later, who knows). Started it this morning and it fires right up after GP-ing. Idle seems high, but who knows. Oil pressure when cold is just pas the 40psi mark and when hot idle is just under the 40 mark (35ish). When running down the road, it holds near 35-40PSI. Water temp is about 180ish or less.

On a side note, I did figure out where the 'wait to start' light is located. At some point, someone replaced the light/cover with one from a GASSER! :rotflmao It says "AIR BAG", but I can hear the GP relay under the hood. I would guess that the light next to it is suppose to be a 'water in fuel', but not sure. I might go to GM and see what a correct light label will run. (Heck, those idiots at the Dept of Lisencing had GAS listed on the tittle :rotflmao.... but the CarFaxed as a diesel!)

Well, it was bought for a friend. Hate to say it, but I think but my friend will prob. be it's last owner. He and his employees are not exactly easy on equipment..... Odds are he will use it as is.....