Oil Cooler Question

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just returned from 3000 mile round trip to Phoenix and Flagstaff to pick up my dad's TriGlide and an AZ shorty Dodge van(for a buddy). My oil cooler is due for maintenance. I've got a 6.9 from my '87 set aside. I was thinking of reconditioning the oil cooler from it for use on the '93 if compatible. Also, I found this part number, F3TZ-6A642-G, supposed to be upgraded cooler design for turbo engines but searching only brings up suffix "C" tubes. Mostly, are there any concerns about differences between the 6.9 and '93 7.3 cooler caps?

The van looks way too far forward on the trailer, but it towed great this way. Left Apache Jct. at 0530AM Thursday, arrived in Omaha 0630AM Friday. Apache Jct to Heber was interesting loaded down. LOL All in all, she kicked a$$.

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_070717279_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220311_070717279_HDR.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220311_070651179_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220311_070651179_HDR.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to imagine what your fuel bill was,,,,,,, ouch!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mostly, are there any concerns about differences between the 6.9 and '93 7.3 cooler caps?
Not really. Just remove the ones that are on your oil cooler now and reuse them. They can all be used on any IDI engine no matter which engine they came from. The biggest differences are the ones that came on vans and in International applications are different. If you happen to have an oil cooler with those caps, you should use the ones that go to a truck. The van/IHC caps are shorter than those from a truck and make the oil cooler sit closer to the engine.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My intention is to rebuild the cooler off the 6.9 ahead of time to reduce downtime on the '93, which is my daily driver. I appreciate the help. Is there a better tube to use??

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to imagine what your fuel bill was,,,,,,, ouch!
Dad(75) rode the TriGlide from IA to Apache Jct. in October. Upon arrival, he insisted he would NOT be riding it back home, period. So, in October, I told him I'd come out and haul it home. 6 weeks ago my buddy was looking for help getting the van from Flagstaff to VA. Little did I know I'd get my a$$ handed to me in fuel costs.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only "better" tube is the one that came on the Factory Turbo engine. I don't feel that it's actually needed unless you tow heavy, often. That's just my opinion.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
In about another week-month you can move that comma little farther to the right...
($1,966 = $19,666) LOL LOL

Nah, the price of oil has already dropped drastically, and diesel prices haven't moved any in price for 4 or 5 days, at least around Arizona, Nevada, and Utah. Prices in Oregon look stable too.

But, the oil and gas/diesel companies will keep turning the $5 knife well beyond when it's even acceptable to get every drop of blood out of the public. Prices SHOULD be dropping, but I doubt they will for 3 or 4 months.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nah, the price of oil has already dropped drastically, and diesel prices haven't moved any in price for 4 or 5 days, at least around Arizona, Nevada, and Utah. Prices in Oregon look stable too.

But, the oil and gas/diesel companies will keep turning the $5 knife well beyond when it's even acceptable to get every drop of blood out of the public. Prices SHOULD be dropping, but I doubt they will for 3 or 4 months.
I agree with this (even though I don't know about current prices first hand). Normally, I'd give this a "like", but I CAN'T like this even if I do agree with it.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Normally, I'd give this a "like", but I CAN'T like this even if I do agree with it.
Well I'm not liking much about anything.
I'm just glad I stocked up last yr while cheaper, filled my big tanks, barrels, buckets, peanutbutter jars, LOL etc, etc. If I don't have go anywhere (trip) I can make it rest of this yr.
I just need to be aware of algae building/growing

And back to oilcoolers.....I think I saw a green external drip other day under my oilcooler. grrrrr

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
For a decade I have wished I had a place close to me where I could keep a couple above ground 1,000 gallon fuel tanks. I would do premium ethanol free gas and #2 diesel. Fill them on the cheap and run them dry. Leave them empty till prices go below the average again and fill them up. Like TTMan4 weather these cyclical price increases buy using fuel bought on the cheap. Also skirt the holiday and summer price hikes.

I have seen many folks in the past panic or get worked up and go buy a new economy car, to as they say, ”save money!“ They seem to be penny wise and pound foolish. They never seem to get rid of the gas guzzler, just use it less. They usually have 2-5 drivers but only one can drive the gas sipper at a time. Prices generally fall a year later, but their car loan and all the their other cost are for 5 years unless they are willing in the first 3 to sell at a loss.

Typically gas goes up $1-1.5 a gallon for some perceived reason. (Weather, policy, war, spill, embargo, refinery challenges, strike, etc.). So how these people justify the cost of the new car, depreciation, the cost of more insurance, the cost of higher registration fee’s, and maintenance vs paying $20-25 more a week at the pump or say $100 more a month vs $500-800 a month for a third car. Blows my mind they spend $500 or more each month to save $100. That is say a $4,000 loss for the year. Worse the next couple years when prices drop again.

It would be one thing if you could buy a 10 year old Japanese economy car with 80,000 miles for $1,000 and sell it a year later for that. But they get 3-5k for them at least around here. Maybe more due to COVID.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only "better" tube is the one that came on the Factory Turbo engine. I don't feel that it's actually needed unless you tow heavy, often. That's just my opinion.

The factory IDI Turbo engine used an Oil Cooler with 30 fins per inch.
The NA IDI used an Oil Cooler that has 24 fins per inch.

I have not seen a Turbo OC at any time in my searches. Only the NA coolers, which are after market Chicom.

In post one in the following thread, click on the link in post #1, shows a picture of the coolers.

I guess it was around 3.5 years ago I replaced my OC that puked Oil into the Coolant.
At that time, I found only 2 Motor Craft that were remanufactured, what ever that means. one on Rock Auto and one on Parts Geek....and a ton of Dorman etc... The one`s new from the online dealers were up around $500. There may still be a few new one`s available.

I kept the old one, one of these days i`ll clean it up and pressure test it as per the way genscriptor did on his site.

Goat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online