1991 3/4 ton Ford Ranger build

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that what you'e running there is a bad thing at all, because I think it's cool as hell. That being said, I think with that body being on that frame, you might need to register it as a Ranger, which means you might have a problem with the rig being too heavy for it's GVW.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What front axle are you running?

Why do you want to swap internals for the ZF transmission? You may find it simpler to get a four wheel drive ZF and married tcase instead of messing with diivorced stuff..

Good luck

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just as an idea, you could find another bed cut the amount you need to fill the gap, then extend your current bed and piece it together, have an 8ft bed on a ranger.. that would look pretty cool too...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very neat! Not street legal around here, but if you can make it fly where you live, more power to you! I've actually hoped someone would just put the motor in a stock Ranger. My idea was to mount it in the bed, facing backwards, and use a transfer case to turn it around. That would be extra cool, and a very smooth ride.

Ryanohn

7.3 IDI Ranger
Reaction score
I'm not saying that what you'e running there is a bad thing at all, because I think it's cool as hell. That being said, I think with that body being on that frame, you might need to register it as a Ranger, which means you might have a problem with the rig being too heavy for it's GVW.
Its titled as an ranger and not sure about the gvw problem

Ryanohn

7.3 IDI Ranger
Reaction score
What front axle are you running?

Why do you want to swap internals for the ZF transmission? You may find it simpler to get a four wheel drive ZF and married tcase instead of messing with diivorced stuff..

*Good luck
im running a DANA44 hahah for now until it dies, but im looking for dana60. Ive had ideas of taking my extra 10.25 and turning it into a front axle with dana 60s inner c's. i want the inertnals of a gasser zf for the fact of having a
5.72 first gear use a married 1356 and divorced np205 for a doubler
just as an idea, you could find another bed cut the amount you need to fill the gap, then extend your current bed and piece it together, have an 8ft bed on a ranger.. that would look pretty cool too...

i have been thinking about that for awhile know, i have a friend im going to buy a donnor bed. im running my rad in the bed. theres is no room in the bay for a rad and use both trail and dd if i can

Very neat! Not street legal around here, but if you can make it fly where you live, more power to you! I've actually hoped someone would just put the motor in a stock Ranger. My idea was to mount it in the bed, facing backwards, and use a transfer case to turn it around. That would be extra cool, and a very smooth ride.

its street legal here in Michigan, i found nothing against it.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Ryan, the GVW ticker says what the maximum legal weight that rig can weigh, probably somewhere around 4,000-4,500lbs. If the rig weighs more than that, it is in no-way, shape or form 'street legal', and if the fuzz wanted to be a bunch of *****, which is a common thing, they coulf fine you for violating the GVW. I worked for a guy driving a straight grain truck, I got pulled over by a blue Jacket, got weighed and was 200lbs overweight, it cost him more than $600 fine.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what your GVW rating is, but there will likely be a sticker on the b-pillar by the striker on the driver's side door that will say something like 1220lbs front at 35 psi and 1810 rear on 215/70R15 tires 35 psi. That would mean that in my example, the GVW would likely be like 2900lbs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online