1988 F250 E-Brake Question?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been noticing over time (more recently) I have to firmly push my emergency brake pedal almost to the floor before it will catch and hold, and there is a lot of resistance while doing so, so much I'm concerned the outside cable or one of those components will break.
I seem to recall hearing and feeling ratcheting teeth to where it would engage/grab up higher and I could set the e-brake tension light or more heavy... that option is gone.
BTW ... when releasing the e-brake I would always have my foot on the pedal to release it easily, so it never slammed up.
Looking up under that area I'm not seeing anything with teeth on it... is there something wearing away or some type of adjustment I can make to restore the emergency brake to engage higher up?
Thanks for any feedback, Ray

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the drums off lately? A leaking hub seal could be part of your problem. Also a good time to adjust your brakes out if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd also suggest to adjust your rear brakes before doing anything else. If these are out of adjustment, then anything else that you do won't help much and you'd basically be fighting yourself. The best part is that it's free.