Hard brake pedal

87F-250HD

Reaction score
So my brakes on my ‘87 6.9 were fine until this morning; now suddenly the brake pedal is hard and riding high and it’s very difficult to stop the truck. Any idea what this could be or how to fix it?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vacuum gauges were pretty common in garages engines had carburetors they'll give you an exact reading. Napa sells them for about $30. Under 17" is bad, 19" or more is good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thank you! What’s the best way to check the vacuum?
The easiest way is to pull off a vacuum line while the engine's running and then put a finger over the end that is still attached to the vacuum system. You'll feel a pull on your finger if the vacuum pump is working. It's also cheap and easy. A vacuum gauge is something that I also recommend in everyone's truck to keep an eye on the vacuum pump.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why should they be replaced together? I just never heard this, so just wondering the logic. Thanks!!
When I replaced the booster on my 83, I was told that I should replace the master at the same time because they wouldn't warranty the booster if the master cylinder seal leaked fluid into it.

James

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the master cylinder 3 years ago the booster was original (1993) and is still working OK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online