1985 6.9 Project

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Burners,

Hope everyone is doing good with the challenges life presents. I've been back at work after furlough, and busy taking care of my wife since she found out shes pregnant. Well this weekend I got to give some more love to my Ford and did fuel filters. Can't wait to get the body bushings and fuel selector valve installed too.

Back to the filter, My rig has 2, one after the iP and another up by driver firewall. I got em both on and sounds like I got air in the lines, I do know to air bleed the ip filter, and am wondering about the twist spout on the driver firewall filter.

Is that spout for air purge too?
Attached Is a photo of the old filter. New ones are NAPA gold.

Hope you guys in fire zones are doing ok, it's pretty gnarly up in Humboldt

You must be registered for see images attach

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ky sounds like you have been busy.
I'll tell you how the Baldwin filters work and should be positioned and then you can just make sure your Napa setup immitates it.

The Bf1212 is a suction side of the fuel pump/lift pump filter. The little knob you asked about is to drain the water seperator.

If you have another filter in the factory location or let's say even on a seperate filter head after the pump like the bf7633, that's a pressure side filter. I'm assuming you meant the second filter is pressure side of the lift pump not injection pump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, lift pump, ty!

Ok water drain, that is good to know.

Sounds like I need to try the air purge a little more, its having some trouble starting.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, lift pump, ty!

Ok water drain, that is good to know.

Sounds like I need to try the air purge a little more, its having some trouble starting.
First crack open the water seperator on your suction side and turn over briefly until fuel shoots out. Then if you have the factory filter head post lift pump with the Schrader valve you need to turn the motor over and depress that until the air is out.
Then if it still doesn't run and there's airlock between the ip and injectors you need to turn over and crack open the injector lines one by one till the airs out.

It's gonna get a bit messy and you'll need a helper if you don't have a remote trigger for the starter. Also I personally don't crank more than 15 seconds and a cool down in between.

By trouble if you mean it hasn't ran at all since the work then do above. If it has ran but is hard start and the exhaust manifolds are hot do not do the above cause it can spray on the hot manifolds. And we would have to talk about why it's hard start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a video, in this video I was experimenting to see if it was the glow plug harness since I have this issue in the morning and its cold.

You can hear it struggle to start. Which happens on the first start of the day,or if it sits a few hours. if I make a stop and then start it up again it fires up cherry.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a video, in this video I was experimenting to see if it was the glow plug harness since I have this issue in the morning and its cold.

You can hear it struggle to start. Which happens on the first start of the day,or if it sits a few hours. if I make a stop and then start it up again it fires up cherry.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sounds like glow plugs are not getting hot enough. If you let it sit over night then plug the heater in for about 10-20 min will it start right up? If so sounds like the problem. Change the controller same time. You run a risk of blowing new plugs in no time. 2 sets of plugs in weeks time is how I learned my lesson. Easier way of getting air out is to screwdriver the solenoid (to turn engine over) and push in the nipple on the bleeder on the side of where the fuel filter mounts.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 9 17

Been purging air out the bleeder valve with success, truck starts up like it used to.

Planning to inspect/replace glow plug system components as well for S&G. It's only gonna get colder and harder to warm up!

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering pulley, pump, hoses, all belts getting replaced. Got this far, back at it again in the morning.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New belts, new pump, hoses, had to use old pulley since the 1 ordered off lmc was wrong. But no bearing in the pulley so old really wasn't broke or nothing.

Bled the line and took it for a spin, topped off the fluid once warm. Not bad!

Last pic you can see how far the old belt needed to be adjusted compared to a nice new tight belt.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note, is my old pump of value to anyone?

Seemed like rebuilds where all I could find online, don't wanna throw it out if they're scarce.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't looked for one in a long time, but I don't think they're particularly rare. Ford used them in a wide variety of vehicles for quite a few years.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
February 2021 update

Well Burners, I ain't dead yet. Just lurk a lot.

Rainy season puts a damper on most repair work. Truck been running good all winter. Finally got some dry days and went up under the truck for a look.

Figured our why fuel gauge probably isn't working right..wires all tore up!

Hope you guys are all doing good!
We going to the hospital today to have our little girl. Cant wait to take her out to the woods in this 85..

:peelout

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing valve cover gaskets today..
Didnt have to use a wrench for a single bolt! Yikes..all hand tight on the cover.

Looks like my gp harness has seen better days!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online