1985 6.9 Project

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

New here, search up a lot of stuff here. Starting to have enough questions that the search bar wont answer so making a thread!

What I got is a 85 f250 6.9 xlt lariat.
It's in good shape, drove it from Seattle to Northern California no issues.

So far we've done
-Cab lights (LEDs from a semi)
-Glow plugs/return line kit
-Fan Clutch
-Door/Window Seals

It's got a loose pulley on the power steering pump, that's ordered. And it leaks oil somewhere pretty good yet to be determined..

Plan is to go through it and bring it back to glory, and have a reliable 4x4 for getting my outdoors on.

This is a cool corner of the internet, thank you for your knowledge.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good looking truck. Always a fan of the marker lights. My engine has a leak from the IP gear cover running down the passenger side front of the engine. For a while I suspected the front seal which it could very well be, but when I did the tstat and cleaned everything up, I found it. The oil pans on these use RTV and depending on how well it was done if it has been meddled with, or if a gasket was installed, that could be a leak point. The oil cooler can be a culprite too (long tube on driver's side by oil filter) and even the drain plug. Differentials also love to throw oil out but I see that as rust prevention.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ty, I will look at that next. It does appear in that area

Pic looking up from bottom.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some underwork, drained the trans. Fluid was looking good so maybe done recently, still good to check. New filter and gaskets up in there. Almost did a slick move and followed the owners manual...put 13 quarts in there. Yikes.

That dipstick was halfway up the stick..checked it b4 start. Forgot that the torque converter wasn't drained so out comes the hand pump and I put it back in the jug.

Going to do the differentials and transfer case next and then work on cleaning up the underside after all the wet work is done.

Am I right using 80w90 for the front and transfer, and 80w90 plus slip additive for rear?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being an 85 it should be 10.25 rear taking 3.5 or so quarts of 75/140 and if ypu have a dana 44 up front like me, 2-2.5 quarts of 80/90. Permatex black rtv for sealing. If you have a BW 1345 it takes synthetic atf. Fill everything until they come out the drain plug.

And look at codes for lsd on the rear. Garys garagemahal has documentation for most everything

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 ty

Different oil for the front and rear, what would be the mechanical need for that?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you're towing super heavy all the time, there isnt much need for a super viscous oil in the front, or rear for that matter, and that is what the manufacturer and Ford recommend. Mostly has to do with the abuse seen on that part, the materials of the components, and in some cases the seals. Bobistheoilguy has tons of good info on oils and may have answers to questions you have.

I'm sure axle engineers will say that they spent time figuring all sorts of factors and determined the best average oil. Often times they will test gears in continuous operation for x amount of time using different weights and measure mesh loss as well as analyze the oil to see which compounds are being lost.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10-4 ty

Different oil for the front and rear, what would be the mechanical need for that?

Unless you're towing super heavy all the time, there isnt much need for a super viscous oil in the front, or rear for that matter, and that is what the manufacturer and Ford recommend. Mostly has to do with the abuse seen on that part, the materials of the components, and in some cases the seals. Bobistheoilguy has tons of good info on oils and may have answers to questions you have.

I'm sure axle engineers will say that they spent time figuring all sorts of factors and determined the best average oil. Often times they will test gears in continuous operation for x amount of time using different weights and measure mesh loss as well as analyze the oil to see which compounds are being lost.

Yup. If you don't have your truck in 4WD 24/7/365, then the front will see a lot less wear than the rear.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the fill plug, and and the bolts around it..does that whole plate have to come off to drain the front?

UPDATE..
Brother told me there ain't a drain ya gotta pump it out and pump the new oil in until it flows over.

Last edited:

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front diff done, oil was kinda dull jade color pumped out. Not a fan of the way this was done, kinda wanted to see in there! Looks like it's a Borg I can see the stamping and also it has ATF marked on the plugs.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeppers, after my coffee that's the plan today. The aluminum bar that goes from the trans to throttle I forget the name, feels like its sticking a little..can that be oiled at any joints?

EDIT;
Is this guy supposed to have the throttle cable resting on top like that? It's got some rub marks like it may be adding resistance (minimal).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.