12 Volt Air Compressers

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I want a 12 volt air compresser that plugs into the cig liter. I will need at least 65 lbs so I can keep up the trailer tires. I know some can pump up to 120 lbs but how long will it take. Cost is really not a problem but quality is. I don't want a use it once and it breaks kind of crap. Any ideas.... Thanks all...:D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in that as well, except I don't care about current draws, as it will be going under the hood and getting hard-wired in.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked on JC Whitneys site and there are some good compressors on there. One 12v goes to 260 psi for 32 bucks. never used these, just a suggestion.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 cfm (no load) Extreme Aire compressor that I'm happy with. It draws a bit of current so it isn't suitable for cig lighter use. You can check sites that deal in parts for "baggin" (air bagging) cars and trucks. I do know that Extreme Aire will stand behind their compressors, a buddy of mine had his replaced after a hard roll-over rendered it inoperable (no physical damage to the compressor). Warn (of winch fame) has a nice line of high output 12v compressors out now. They are pricey, but Warn makes good stuff.
Travis..

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
for cig lighter... anything cheap from auto store or costco etc should be ok. They will take forever but they should have no problems with the pressures you want. If you are under-hood mounting, check out Viar for a little more volume. Or you can take it to the next level and setup an OBA system using a belt powered AC compressor for just air.

1991idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the air ride world (baggin as refered to above ;) ) Viair is a common well priced compressor, they hold up well to daily use with no issues and have pretty good flow- plenty if you just want it for filling tires or small things like that. The down side is they are definitely not cigarette lighter plug friendly. A medium sized one (450/460) will draw up to 40A at higher pressures (150-200PSI)

gandalf

Reaction score
I have one of those, the cigarette lighter plug-in type. It was made by Interdynamics Truckair.

Portable Compressor

I've found that it's adequate for my use. It will blow the truck tires up to 90PSI. It claims to max out at 275PSI. It certainly isn't as fast as a normal big compressor, but it will fit behind my rear seat (I still have room there).:D I haven't found any information on power draw, but I remember reading in the documentation that I am supposed to keep the engine running when I'm using it.

allczns

Reaction score
Interdynamics TruckAir

...I've used one of these around the farm for several years. Works like a champ!

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the Viar compressor. I've got one mounted in my tool box for my air horns and small air tools. Works great for filling up tires and blowing light snow off the windsheild.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with any type of small electric air-compressor is use it or lose it, especially if you live in a place such as Kentucky that has water-laden air.

Any smallish compressor left un-used for a few weeks will soon suffer internal corrosion, the rings and valves will stick; and, when you turn it on, the motor will run, but no air will be compressed.

As I have limited under-hood room left, I have been contemplating a seperate diesel-powered compressor that is electric-start from the truck's batteries, and draws it's fuel from the truck's tanks.

With such a unit, I would also add a decent-sized generator to the mix.

I have a very small water-cooled 4-cylinder diesel still mounted in an old ****** that we use for storage that looks like it might just fit the bill.;Sweet

M

maxdiesel

I have one of those, the cigarette lighter plug-in type. It was made by Interdynamics Truckair.

Portable Compressor

I've found that it's adequate for my use. It will blow the truck tires up to 90PSI. It claims to max out at 275PSI. It certainly isn't as fast as a normal big compressor, but it will fit behind my rear seat (I still have room there).:D I haven't found any information on power draw, but I remember reading in the documentation that I am supposed to keep the engine running when I'm using it.

I have one of these. It's over 10 years old, stored in the car and still works great. I've had several other compressors and this is the only one that is still working for me. The only other one that lasted a while was a Coleman which lasted 5 or 6 years.