100% WVO Now IP surges

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well at the price of fuel, I've been keeping up the french fry express.
I dropped in 5 gallons of veggie last night and was headed to town this morning to thin it down to a 50% mix. Yup I know purdy stupid at 45 degree weather with no aux line heaters. I made it to town but by no means did the truck enjoy it. Fuel starvation due to reduced flow.
I know that it was too thick but once I got it thinned down and ran it for 25 minutes, at highway speeds, I now have developed what feels to be a metering valve problem.
It runs good but when I stomp on it, there is a significant delay and then an extreme burst of power.
Not sure if the 100% veggie clogged fairly fresh filter,less than 1k, or it caused some damage to the pump.
Any thoughts from you veggie pros?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run wvo and have experienced that scare and in each case it was (partically) clogged filters. Inadequate fuel flow can cause surging that can appear like a messed up injection pump. So bite the bullet and change the filters. I am adding this spring a flat plate heat exchanger to address this problem.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add, DON'T EVER run the wvo mix when your engine is not fully warmed up, that will threaten your pump and rings; I assume you have two tanks, one with straight diesel to start and stop on. Good luck with it!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ron change the fuel filter. 100 percent WVO @ 45 degs is awful thick. Look for a renegade french fry.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
WVO needs to be filtered properly, just like any other fuel. You should also dewater it before dumping it in your tank. I would really recommend a two tank system with heated lines etc, but hey that's why I'm such a fan of frybridhttp://www.frybrid.com
You should be able to run 100% wvo at any outside temperature. I've spent a lot of time snowboarding and it's nice to not pay for the ride up to the mountain.
Depending on how much you drive it doesn't take that long to pay for an adequate conversion at 4.37/gallon!
I also put a premium on not breaking down! Don't do anything half assed to your truck if you don't have to.
Good luck.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I run wvo and have experienced that scare and in each case it was (partically) clogged filters. Inadequate fuel flow can cause surging that can appear like a messed up injection pump. So bite the bullet and change the filters. I am adding this spring a flat plate heat exchanger to address this problem.
Flat Plate?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're handy(we know you are) you don't need to buy a high dollar WVO/SVO system. You can make some heat exchangers for your fuel tank(veggie tank) and you can make a little B100 for your start fuel in just 5 gallon buckets, and it will still be way cheaper than diesel. If you can afford a Greasecar or Frybrid or something like that, by all means knock yourself out it will be much better than blending unheated WVO and diesel or WMO and diesel. What Hahn says is true about very good filtration and dewatering, also what of the FFA in WVO? I'd be hesitant about using high titration veggie oil without first dewatering and deacidifying it.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The problem Ron is that cold solid WVO will not mix with diesel so if it solidified with the cold it won't have mixed with the diesel so your filter is plugged with WVO but if you could heat it and the diesel coming in it would wash it out

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain Ron, although not in quite the same way. I just shelled out $300 for a 110V electric fuel pump for my 250 gallon WMO tank that I just put in along the driveway. I'm starting to liken this situation to the great depression, when parents sent their kids out to walk the railroad tracks in search for stray lumps of coal.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on Mel, not the Great Depression I haven't heard anything about 40% unemployment..... at least not yet, but nonetheless people are hurting. We're all going to have to either drive more efficient stuff or burn cheaper fuel.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at the price of fuel, I've been keeping up the french fry express.
I dropped in 5 gallons of veggie last night and was headed to town this morning to thin it down to a 50% mix. Yup I know purdy stupid at 45 degree weather with no aux line heaters. I made it to town but by no means did the truck enjoy it. Fuel starvation due to reduced flow.
I know that it was too thick but once I got it thinned down and ran it for 25 minutes, at highway speeds, I now have developed what feels to be a metering valve problem.
It runs good but when I stomp on it, there is a significant delay and then an extreme burst of power.
Not sure if the 100% veggie clogged fairly fresh filter,less than 1k, or it caused some damage to the pump.
Any thoughts from you veggie pros?

to early to tell if there is any damage - i had a pump one time that would do the thing where you floor it and no response but it only happened on diesel, never on veggie, and i later realized it had major head/rotor wear - so i basically drove for a year on a pump that was junk! it worked because all i ever run is veggie except for start ups and purging - and i had to do that part in the driveway. But i don't think that is your problem - but you are lucky because you can sieze a pump running thick, cold wvo...
BTW i have a flat plate heat exchanger just before the stock fuel filter and it works so well that the fuel filter it too hot to even touch when running wvo. If you have a good supply of wvo you should look into that. I also have a solenoid valve at the return line to loop the return (only while on veggie) back into the supply just before the lift pump and that helps to heat the oil even better and also reduces the strain on the lift pump so it does not have to move as much oil (since my tank is not heated).
I also have a solenoid valve just before the heat exchanger so when on diesel i can bypass it and on veggie send it through since you don't want to heat diesel. Total cost of my setup was between $300-$350 with all high quality valves, push-lock hoses, etc.
Paul

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately during the great depression unemployment was only 25%. It might not be the great depression, but i do feel the pain having to scavenge for fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops! I knew it was high during the depression, thought a bit higher but 25 sounds right. Grease Fire, your type of system is exactly what I m talking about with using some innovation to avoid having to spend a ton of money on a premade system like a Frybrid or greasecar or the like.