ZF5 Transmission Question

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be receiving a ZF5 out of a 90' F250 gasser - I would LOVE to swap out my T19 for the 5 speed, I *thought* there was some issues swapping a gasser ZF into a diesel - will this bolt up to my 6.9IDI or will I have to make some modifications?

Are there different gear ratio's between the gas and diesel 5 speeds?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Nope cant use a gasser zf in a diesel, or the other way around. The transmission must be out of a diesel to fit your truck. I have heard of someone being able to use a zf out of a 460 truck but had to do modifications, but really don't know if it actually happened. Also the gear ratios of the transmission differ from a diesel transmission.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big problem is it won't bolt up, the bellhousing pattern is different. There are some threads on here, and possibly one in the tech section about re-drilling the gas tranny to match the diesel engine, but you would need some confidence in your ability before you try it. I don't know if I would do it myself.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more research and it's possible - I don't care of the ratio's are different, 3rd and 4th are the same, I feel the T19 gears is a bit too low in 1st and 2nd so it will only help there as well. It seems that I can take the transmission inspection cover plate and lay it on top of the gasser ZF, bolt it into place with all but the top two bolts and start drilling until it fits. IIRC most of the holes line up, the dowels are in different spots, but that can be changed.

I am not afraid of fabrication - I've got everything I might need.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the truck has a 460 I can modify the bellhousing to fit? Good to know, I knew a sb bellhousingwouldn't be possible.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You want to ask member Type4 about this, Him and others have done it successfully. Also the gasoline version of the zf5 comes with a lower first gear, not that You'll need it with a diesel but the gas engines need it. This tranny's are fairly cheap both in diesel and gasoline version, You could wait and find one for a diesel engine which should bolt to Your adapter.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have personlly done this swap. i used a 460 tranny to a 7.3 diesel. i first drilled the top 2 bellhousing holes to 1/2 inch. then i took the trans adapter from the eninge and bolted it to the 460 tranny by the top 2 bolts. i then used the same 1/2 drill bit and drilled the tranny until the bolts slid in straight. done. i pefer the 460 trannys gears a lot more then the idi tranny.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i have personlly done this swap. i used a 460 tranny to a 7.3 diesel. i first drilled the top 2 bellhousing holes to 1/2 inch. then i took the trans adapter from the eninge and bolted it to the 460 tranny by the top 2 bolts. i then used the same 1/2 drill bit and drilled the tranny until the bolts slid in straight. done. i pefer the 460 trannys gears a lot more then the idi tranny.

yeah. The 5.72 1st gear is way better than the idi diesel 4:14 1st gear

i am actually on the hunt for a cheap 460 zf that i can gut and put in a diesel housing i have

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
460 trans in mine too, wicked plowing power in 1st gear, sounds like a 2 stroke Jimmy when the snow is deep...LOL....I drilled the top two holes as well and used an IDI trans adapter for a guide once it was bolted in the top holes...Slick as **** off a shovel!!!:D

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool guys, I'm excited to hear it's fairly simple. As for the clutch, I'll look for a cheap option, I assume I have to use a clutch from a 7.3 that had a ZF bolted to it? IIRC the bolt patterns are the same between the 6.9 and the 7.3 correct?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I used the T19 SMF and PP, I bought an 11" disc with springs for about $100 new. If you do a search here you will find the part number in one of my build threads.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the T19 SMF and PP, I bought an 11" disc with springs for about $100 new. If you do a search here you will find the part number in one of my build threads.

Will do - thanks. I'm guessing I can swap the ZF in for under $200 total.