Zf5-42 conversion

romanmanfredi

Reaction score
I have a 95 f-350 crew cab long bed 4x4. Currently i have a e40d wich has now lost 1st and im done. I purchased a zf5 rebuilt from a local shop and can pretty much source everything else except for a crossmember. Ryd makes one but its 600$+ and u have to drill holes in your frame. Anyone here willing to part with one or any good sources to find one ?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just modify what you have, was the easiest part of swapping a zf5-47 into a bricknose I did recently. Also cost free.99.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the swap from a 89 c6 to a 89 zf, I got all the crossmembers to do it, but found that the lower crossmember was the same between the c6 and the zf. Only the short upper pieces were different. So in other words, like the previous poster said, stick it in there and see what you can come up with. I know the lower part from a c6 truck would work. You would need to figure out the upper short pieces though.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've done three ZF conversions now. Never needed a new crossmember. Did have to drill one in a Bullnose.

But you may need a new driveshaft. We had to cobble up a frankenstein shaft from parts trucks for our last ZF conversion into an 89 C6. It's 1" too short and not balanced well so I plan to have a big tractor shop just build me one.

romanmanfredi

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.. i found one a drove 9 hours for it lmaoo. Unfortunately its missing the 2 side pieces. Im hoping it add a couple extra holes in each side for some support. Lmk what yall think

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two short upper pieces are important, they keep the frame from twisting. But holes in the upper part of the frame will be hard to drill. I had the proper ones, but thought if I didn't, that I could put the wrong upper brackets in place, mark the location of hopefully at least one existing frame hole, and then take the upper bracket back out and drill it for at least one bolt on the top rail, and then use the bottom two bolts into the lower crossmember.

romanmanfredi

Reaction score
Thats what i was afraid of. The truck i got it out of had a zf5 that was cracked all the way around the bell housing. Didnt even have to unbolt it to remove it . Was afraid that may have been the reason lol. I think i might just go with the ryd motorsports one. It looks really heavy duty.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally I wouldn’t want to see you spending $600+ on something easy and simple. The cross member uppers are plentiful and it’s easy to drill holes. You just mock it up and mark it with a paint pen.

You can watch in my video here:
The part your asking about starts at 5:30
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally I wouldn’t want to see you spending $600+ on something easy and simple. The cross member uppers are plentiful and it’s easy to drill holes. You just mock it up and mark it with a paint pen.

You can watch in my video here:
The part your asking about starts at 5:30
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Did you have to use a right angle drill to get in there? And then you are drilling overhead with hot shavings getting on your hands and arms. I guess gloves would help with that.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You don't need an angle drill, go from the outside in. Just run a pilot hole to center it.
I try to wear long sleeves when frame drilling.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have to use a right angle drill to get in there? And then you are drilling overhead with hot shavings getting on your hands and arms. I guess gloves would help with that.
From underneath, pilot hole, stepper. Slight angle. If drill shavings bother you I wouldn't reccomend welding. But yea ppi up however much needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online