T19 to zf5 swap

1984bullnose

Reaction score
I currently drive a 4x4 1984 f250 diesel 4 speed and I have found a truck local to me that someone is parting out. Donor truck is a 91 F350 cclb 7.3 idi with an ATS turbo and zf5 4x4. Person got the truck for the axles and everything else needs to go. Im going down tomorrow to check out the truck and look over everything I’m interested in. He is willing to pull the engine/turbo and trans out as a package along with anything else I need to complete the zf5 swap to my truck. From what I understand the only other thing I need to complete the swap is the shifter pan and that’s it. I can reuse my driveshaft and re-drill the crossmember farther back. I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything to complete the swap. The donor truck is a cclb while my truck is a sclb if that makes any difference and it’s a 6hr round trip so want to make sure I’m not missing anything. Thanks in advance.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If the parts truck has a good flywheel, you might as well take that too. The zf5 used a dual mass flywheel, but lots of folks have swapped them for a single mass.
It's a straight forward swap, just a real fun time getting it all lined up.
You will probably have to modify the exhaust by the y pipe.

Rock

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wont need to modify cross member or driveshaft or floor pan. It's a direct bolt in swap I did it on my 83. Only thing different is the clutch/flywheel buy a luk SMF kit for a 7.3 n/a and you'll be golden. The slave cylinder will even go right onto the zf bell housing. The zf5 is probably married to a 1356 tcase and I'll bet your truck has a 1345 use your tcase it will bolt right up to the zf5.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My first and best piece of advice is that if you can swing it, get the whole truck. That way you know for sure that you have everything that you need.
When I put the ZF5 in my Blue Truck, I didn't have the shifter pan/cover plate for a Brick Nose truck. It was a very tight fir, but the transmission went in and everything is still working fine over 7 years later. The only down side is that the shifter boot won't reach far enough forward to screw down to the the floor. At the time, I was wanting to get the truck on the road badly (did an engine swap, trans swap and redid the rear brakes all over Thanksgiving weekend) so I robbed the transmission from the Bronco. At the time, I was still planning to get the Bronco going again so I left the plate/pan in it. If I had known, I that I was just going to get rid of it, I would have taken that too.

1984bullnose

Reaction score
All loaded up and back home with it. If I had to do it again I would have loaded the engine facing towards the tailgate so I could have snagged the engine lift points easier.

500 miles round trip and I averaged 17mpg cruising at 65 with the T19 4 speed with no wind whatsoever. I drive the route I took a couple times a year so it will be a good comparison when I do the 5 speed and turbo swap. Hoping to add an additional 3-5 mpg having overdrive but we will see what happens.

You must be registered for see images attach

EarlyTimesChevy

Reaction score
You wont need to modify cross member or driveshaft or floor pan. It's a direct bolt in swap I did it on my 83. Only thing different is the clutch/flywheel buy a luk SMF kit for a 7.3 n/a and you'll be golden. The slave cylinder will even go right onto the zf bell housing. The zf5 is probably married to a 1356 tcase and I'll bet your truck has a 1345 use your tcase it will bolt right up to the zf5.
Hate to hijack an old thread, do you have a photo of your crossmember that you used from the T19 to mount the ZF5? I have 2 T19 crossmembers that are for a 4WD truck and I dont know which one to use and keep. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86