ZF gear swapping...is it possible?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I am considering a ZF trans for my conversion. Seeing as the truck will not be used for hauling huge loads or towing huge weight on a trailer; as well it's supposed to be built for off road use can I swap the gears internally between ZF's of different gearing?

I have the potential of purchasing two trans, 1 is an F450 trans that is in need of rebuild and I can likely get it cheap, the problem is it's not the uber Low 1st gear I want of 5.72:1 its the 4.??:1 ratio.

I need this trans because it can bolt directly to the transfer case.

I also have the opportunity to purchase the following model gasser 2WD trans.

Model # S 5-42
ZF Part's list# 1*307 050 053
Serial # 8141287
Ford Part # E9TA-7003-UA
Total Ratio, 5.72 - 0.76
Speedo Gear 7
Build Date 060689

That being said can the gears be swapped from main shaft to main shaft and thus I could have a wide ratio, deep reduction, diesel 4x trans?

OR is there a wide ratio deep reduction 4x diesel trans already?

In the end the 2WD trans and close ratio gears would be scrapped as I have no use for them....

7.3shrk

I would think if you used the guts from one and the case from the other, you should be fine. Just make sure the inputs are the same (spline and such).

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you are up to do a lot of work eh? If you think you can handle a ZF rebuild you can probably handle this too, and you'll have them apart anyway for the overhaul. If you can pull it off, my hat is off to ya.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you are up to do a lot of work eh? If you think you can handle a ZF rebuild you can probably handle this too, and you'll have them apart anyway for the overhaul. If you can pull it off, my hat is off to ya.

OK the rebuild of a ZF or any standard is not all that difficult really, it's a matter of a clean area and laying everything out properly. The biggest problem is the darn expense of the ZF rebuild compared to say my T19's kit to rebuild.

I am thinking one can just swap the gears from main shaft to main shaft, then same with counter shafts, and add in new bearings and synchros etc during the process.

Sounds simple enough....cookoo just don't know anyone who actually has rebuilt one of these transmissions to know if it's doable.

Honestly I just wish there was a low gear diesel trans available for me it would be simpler

suv7734

Reaction score
RW,

Links here should give you most of the info you're looking for. The troubleshooting guide is pretty good as well.